looking for a referral application

proskater123

I have a website and I would like to know what sites are sending traffic to it. I can edit the links that these sites send the traffic to and I would like to send it to a referral link so i can track how many come through it. I looked a little on Google but only found counters. Is there an application I can run by my website that I can send the traffic to and then it forward to the page I want them to view?

I have a website and I would like to know what sites are sending traffic to it. I can edit the links that these sites send the traffic to and I would like to send it to a referral link so i can track how many come through it. I looked a little on Google but only found counters. Is there an application I can run by my website that I can send the traffic to and then it forward to the page I want them to view?

Apache should already be logging referral URLs. Do you have access to the httpd-access.log file?

your craphost prob has something like stats page ( awwstats or webalizer etc ... ) if you don't have root then you have to get the httpd-access.log and make your own. (just run webalizer localy on a windows box with your log file )

as for some kind of refer counter you would have to make your own script for that

Referral's can also be blocked via the browser or 3rd party programs too, so you may gete a lot with empty referral entries. If you have PHP on your server, you can write a script to block users who have empty referrer data, and display a message that they must enable it to view your site, but you would lose a lot of visitors that way. There are tons of scripts out there that can help track the data for you and even create the logs/reports based on what you want, but just a simple "$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']" with the users "$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']" written out to a log will give you basic info on your visitors and where they cam from.

Again, this can be blocked, and even spoofed, so it's never 100% reliable.