Programming Is Outdated

Garda

Why do we still write software by typing letters into text files?

I have been using modeFRONTIER for an engineering project for the last 2 weeks. This is a program which manages other programs during simulations. There is a panel in which you place your program flow. There are little panels with arrows going to the next piece of operation. Nothing could be simpler.

I think that entering text into .txt files is old and outdated. This is so much easier to learn and use.

Why is it that programming takes place in text files?

Why do we still write software by typing letters into text files?

I have been using modeFRONTIER for an engineering project for the last 2 weeks. This is a program which manages other programs during simulations. There is a panel in which you place your program flow. There are little panels with arrows going to the next piece of operation. Nothing could be simpler.

I think that entering text into .txt files is old and outdated. This is so much easier to learn and use.

Why is it that programming takes place in text files?

The pretty vector graphics and connected entities mean jack to a computer without several layers of languages converting it all into binary. Every layer has it's purpose. Graphical interfaces to data are the top level macro end of the spectrum.

Programming is not outdated! Just like a writer writes a book, or a painter paints a picture! coding is a form of art!

How do you think your little drag and drop thing works? someone had to code it, to make it so you can drag and drop! What it actually does is generate the code based on what you clicked together...

You really need to have to type into source code files to truly communicate with a computer! how else would you do it? humans surely can't comprehend binary as a computer does! would you rather write 1001110010100010101

to code something up? I think not! Languages like C++ make it easier for programmers! They can just write there C++ code and the compiler will convert it into machine code, and with a disassembler you can see the assembly code which is actually human understandable unlike the machine code! Thats why I like assembly because its so close to machine code that its ready to rock and roll! High performance, super fast running code executed directly by the CPU ;) I always say if you can code it in ASM then do it!

Think of it this way if I had to write this post without typing and only clicking the mouse it would be impossible for you to understand anything... It would be a blank post what could I possibly do? Use an onscreen keyboard maybe but that would still be typing just with the mouse! you see what Im getting at?

even you typed your post! Just like we communicate with each other with english. We communicate with computers through the many languages available to "speak" in...

besides I wouldn't like doing so much clicky clicky with the mouse! thats why linux uses terminal for most things instead GUI based, reduce the clicky clicky and increase the amount of what gets done!

So it seems to me that you just don't like to type! Well many people enjoy typing including me! ;)

So to answer your question of why, its simply the best way to communicate with people and computers!

And what is the deal with people who still type in whole sentences and spell out words? I mean HELLO! We invented txt spk for a reason! It is so much easier and it isn't like we really need to be anything more than vague meme zombies anyway.

I don't know how much coding you do, but most of it is done in an IDE (Integrated Design Environment). Like Visual Studio or Dev-C++. These programs are very powerful at helping you create code, with things like intellisense, and code snippets.

It's really like saying "why do people talk to each other, typing is so much easier". It's really just the same thing, except it looks different thats all.

Most people get so turned off by "writing code" they all expect it to be this unreasonably complicated process. Most people don't even understand the real basics of how coding is even done. I think learning the basics of coding would really help people to better understand exactly how computers work.

I have a former boss, who was not a programmer or coder. His lack of understand the basics of coding really prevented him from seeing how different applications worked, he just thought "it should just be able to do that" when it was something the program was not designed to do.

I have a former boss, who was not a programmer or coder. His lack of understand the basics of coding really prevented him from seeing how different applications worked, he just thought "it should just be able to do that" when it was something the program was not designed to do.

I'm gonna stray from the topic further here cuz I feel like venting.

My boss is what I call "technologically optimistic", meaning he thinks anything he can imagine should be possible in minutes with the right series of mouse clicks and maybe a little typing.

He has an insurance quoting software installed on his computer (it's the epitome of 1995 style and grace) and he really thinks he should be able to copy it to the "internet" for everyone to use. He doesn't understand why I can't just install it on our server and let the world go to http://seriesoftubes.example.com and have it work.

The list of examples is long, but I'll stop the rant here before it gets annoying.

Sorry if I was too mean earlier. The truth is that programmers are taught how to flow chart a program because it is a great way to get an idea out. It is kind of like pseudo code in that it really helps you figure out the correct structure for code. The only problem is that flow charts are not as robust as actual code. You can't show very much except for the decision making process. It is kind of like the reason they actually teach how to make linked lists, and how to sort data structures. Sure most languages have an array and a linked list structure that have a fairly fast routine to sort. This sorting method doesn't really work for structs and multidimensional arrays (depending on how it is done) and isn't going to be the fastest method every time. So while yes, you don't really have to code a linked list or sorting algorithm, it might make your program faster and maybe possibly a more elegant solution if you do.

The issue here, is sure its easy to use, and a simple design, but with that, you can only make simple programs. Its quite the same for an IDE, sure its cool being able to use a drag and drop to place a text box at 0,15 but still everyday im writing new class's to do more.

The programs will always need to be coded, if there not coded then you limited to never expanding on the old and pre-existing.

Well there is one even better than GUI.. Class builders.

Just point it to a database and it builds the data Acces, Business, and basic to moderately complex user interface.

Then you take as much or as little of the code you want and run with it. You have Object, Collection, CRUD opperations, and a website for database and specific table administration for a 100 table database in a few minutes.

The company I work with has a base class builder that we can change to reflect the programming style of the customer. Now we are reworking it for LINQ. Once that is done, then see if it can be made general for MySQL.

In the GUI wonder tools department. Right now SSIS (Sql Server Integration Services) takes the cake of difficult process automation. For the LINUX MySQL fanboys out there .. tell me what is the equivlent of SSIS in the Linux MySQL world.

The next toy I am building is something to build repeaters, gridview, listview as a skinable custom user control.

Of course Microsoft is staying ahead of me with the new entity framework. That framework is wickedly powerful!

Unless you are writing realtime systems or video games (same difference) a truely enlightend programmer wants tools that write programs. If you have a special way of doing something, you can still automate it so it is written "your" way.

I think the main point I'm trying to make is that while coding tools are handy, and great for a production environment, it is still necessary for programmers to actually learn how to program with actual text. It is like saying "Why does anybody draw these days when you could easily do a Google Image search and find something that does what you want?". I know the tools are very handy, and can bring about a quick fix for IT staff, but there is more to computer science than IT. Maybe someday programmers will be like English and Math teachers in that all they do is teach or maybe get lucky with a really cool job, but I don't see that happening today.