Windows 2008 server setup, net routing, local file sharing ??

still learning

I have 2 routers a wireless netgear mimo-g rangemax connected to 3 win xp home edition pc's and the 4th ethernet port is used to connect to my cheaper belkin wireless-g router (100ft away with cat5 cable), which is useing 2 ethernet ports on the 2nd router- currently my PC i want to make the server and my xbox 360. I have had problems file sharing locally with the other pc's and noticed the subnet address is weird for the first netgear router (which is connected to the cable modem) it is 255.255.248.0

i tried to change it to the same one on my belkin and it wont allow me, it only gives me drop down options like 255.255.255.0 ect.. currently i am running windows xp pro and ubuntu dual boot on my pc (the forth one i want to make a windows server 2008) any ideas on why my file sharing is not working from my belkin router to the netgear? i noticed also the default ip when i reset the routers is diffrent 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1 could that cause a confliction? Do i need to put the cable modem and netgear router in my room where the server will be in order for the local filesharing to work with the other 3 PC's and my xbox 360?

Just got a Western digital My Book 320gb home edition usb drive that i was trying to use on my PC to file share with other PC's on my local network, and use it so they can see it in there network places to backup their files too and to retreive files from and it does not work. I called western digital and some dude named Joe with a thick indian accent told me thats because its not a network drive it is just a usb drive, i will have to walk the my book to each pc in my house to copy the files or retreive them. He also said that if the external drive does not have a ethernet cable plugin it will not work as a network drive, like how i want it to work. That sounds like total crap to me, i dunno, i have a 40gb internal HD i have a special cord that connects IDE to the back of the drive to USB which plugs in my PC and i can share that on my home network.. please help!!! lol

BTW; Darren this is UN whatwhatbia from youtube i found your site from there. I plan on formatting my PC and installing the windows 2008 server because alot of business use it, just to learn how for a month then i will install a Debian server. I would like to config the windows server to use my other PC's in the house as clients , create a workgroup and active directory, and need config help , maybe tutorials you may have i dunno, thanks!!!

Turn off all the router bits and NAT on the Belkin, essentially making it a ethernet switch/wireless AP. Then connect the WD drive to the server, and share a folder on that drive (you can always access the root of the drive using \\<hostname>\<drive letter>$). Should take you about 5 mins.

I have 2 routers a wireless netgear mimo-g rangemax connected to 3 win xp home edition pc's and the 4th ethernet port is used to connect to my cheaper belkin wireless-g router (100ft away with cat5 cable), which is useing 2 ethernet ports on the 2nd router- currently my PC i want to make the server and my xbox 360. I have had problems file sharing locally with the other pc's and noticed the subnet address is weird for the first netgear router (which is connected to the cable modem) it is 255.255.248.0

i tried to change it to the same one on my belkin and it wont allow me, it only gives me drop down options like 255.255.255.0 ect.. currently i am running windows xp pro and ubuntu dual boot on my pc (the forth one i want to make a windows server 2008) any ideas on why my file sharing is not working from my belkin router to the netgear? i noticed also the default ip when i reset the routers is diffrent 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1 could that cause a confliction? Do i need to put the cable modem and netgear router in my room where the server will be in order for the local filesharing to work with the other 3 PC's and my xbox 360?

Please do draw a diagram of this.

From reading the problems you are having arise in that you have two separate networks.

The easiest solution is to turn DHCP off on the Belkin router, plug the Netgear router in to the Belkin routers switch rather than Belkin router's WAN port. You will probably also want to disable the AP on the Belkin router.

Doing this will change the layout such that every thing is now on one network rather than two networks. You will have to set the Xbox and lower computer to receive an IP address from DHCP at least initially as the subnet for them will change.

The easiest solution is to turn DHCP off on the Belkin router, plug the Netgear router in to the Belkin routers switch rather than Belkin router's WAN port. You will probably also want to disable the AP on the Belkin router.

Doing this will change the layout such that every thing is now on one network rather than two networks. You will have to set the Xbox and lower computer to receive an IP address from DHCP at least initially as the subnet for them will change.

Can the lower computer (the one connected to the belkin) act as the server? How do i set the computer to receive an ip address from DHCP? ipconfig /release then /renew? Should i switch the cable modem and netgear to my room and put the other 3 pc's on the belkin, and is it a good idea to always have the server the pc connected closest to the cable modem's router? thanks!!

No, just set the belkin router to work as a switch, not a router. So disable NAT and the belkins DHCP server. Then connect that to the Netgear router by one of the former lan ports. The other ports will then act exactly like ports on the netgear. The server's IP needs to be DHCP or a routeable static IP.

see:

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-se...-computer-name/

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp...m-command-line/

Once you have done that, you simply connect the USB drive to the windows 2008 machine, create a folder on it called Files and share it. Once you have done that you can use \\hostname\Files or \\ip address\Files to access the share from any machine on the network.