Hacking Movies! What's your favourite/ the best?

USBHacker

You may be thinking about Serial Experiments Lain, a great 13 episode anime where the concepts of God, reality and cyberspace fuse together. I loved it, but whatever you do.. don't watch all 13 in a row!! Your head will explode. If you haven't seen it, I would also suggest Donnie Darko. It's not a hacking movie, but has some interesting things with alternate realities, time travel, causality...

If you like anime, definately check out Battle Programmer Shirase. It's a slightly weird anime about a freelance computer programmer who has to hack himself out of all kinds of adventures. Armed with special powers like "Double compile!" he outsmarts his black-hat hacker enemies.

All episodes are quite short, like 15 minutes, so ideal for on your phone or netbook.

Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Programmer_Shirase

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

read the wiki and lold

The final episode of the show made the unusual step of explicitly apologizing for ending the series, not only the local Japanese viewers, but also those in the fansub community: It was addressed to "those who enjoy the show on TV, and to those outside the broadcast area who took special measures to watch the show on their PC monitors, and to everyone who watched it subtitled overseas without permission."

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who enjoys takedown (Or was it called trackdown, or was it released under a different in title for different countries?).

The one key thing that stands out for me is that even with all the Hollywood spin that they put on it everyone who watches it ends up siding with Mitnick.

Hmm... there was this one anime about hacking I saw a while ago... forget what it was called. Maybe someone can remember? A girl was hacking without even know it, in actual fact someone was hacking for her... a hacking group.

I think this is the Lain series. It is pretty cool.

Doh, I should have read the whole thread Lain was already mentioned.

I want to add Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Not a cracker movie (although he does break into the school computer), but plenty of social engineering, sampling and even hacking the doorbell.

• 1 year later...

I haven't watched Hardwired, because the reviews were very bad, and I've already had my fill of bad Cuba Gooding Jr movies.

A couple more

-Nirvana

-Paranoia 1.0

Own both but haven't watched them yet.

Edited by lohphat

hackers of course :P

hackers 2 takedown

insecurity

and wargames

those are the only hacking movies i have ever heard of lol.

Never heard of Insecurity before, will give it a watch tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone still reading this thread I recommend Avalon (Same director as GiTS). I really enjoyed this movie.

Also Gunhed or Ganheddo on IMDB, its not a hacking movie but I liked it. Gunhed however seems to be one of those movies either like it or hate it.

Johnny Mnemonic: Fun, Cyberpunk, Kinda Gritty.

Their are a couple more that for the life of me I can not think of.

Edited by mr klink