Hacking Movies! What's your favourite/ the best?

USBHacker

Hello!

Last week I rented Anti-Trust, and Takedown.

(Takedown was a great movie!)

And previously I have seen the movie Hackers (which I am pretty sure was where Hak5 got there "Trust your Technolust" slogan) which was also pretty good.

I'm interested in watching some more hacking movies, any recommendations?

Please reply with suggestions, as I want to rent some more today!

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Takedown was a great movie!

I didn't think so when I watched it a few weeks ago. You do know that most of the story about Kevin Mitnick told in the movie is completely wrong, don't you? They made this movie while he was in prison for doing small things like looking at some code inside a company or copying some software (without ever distributing it!).

Go watch the movie "Freedom Downtime" by the 2600 Crew to get an other look at the Mitnick-Case and find out how it really went down. The Takedown-people showed the media an image of Mitnick that just wasn't true.

As to what hacker movies I like: Enigma is a great one. Just watched it a few days ago and it's very interesting.

Ghost in the Sheel is also one of my fav. movies. I generally don't watch anime, but GitS is really great!

Sneakers is another one I really like.

For a horribly bad WarGames rip-off, check out TERMINAL ENTRY from 1986 ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092069/ ). It's fun to see how badly "hacking" was translated for the Hollywood crowd. This movie has some of the worst stereotypes ever.

The Binrev list is a goldmine, it's got everything you need!

About TAKEDOWN, it's kinda funny to see how it usually gets trashed by geeks/hackers/nerds online. It's Hollywood doing a story about hacking. What'd you expect? Truth, accuracy, exploits being coded in assembly before your eyes? Hollywood took a real story, ripped it apart, exaggerated anything they could to make the story more sensational and create an as black-and-white possible image of the "good guys vs. bad guys". Just like they always done, and always will do. Next time Hollywood shows you a movie starting with the lines "based on a true story", take it with a grain of salt. TAKEDOWN is a action thriller movie, not a documentary on Kevin Mitnick.

^Meh, it still made me side with Kevin...

I didn't think so when I watched it a few weeks ago. You do know that most of the story about Kevin Mitnick told in the movie is completely wrong, don't you? They made this movie while he was in prison for doing small things like looking at some code inside a company or copying some software (without ever distributing it!).

Go watch the movie "Freedom Downtime" by the 2600 Crew to get an other look at the Mitnick-Case and find out how it really went down. The Takedown-people showed the media an image of Mitnick that just wasn't true.

As to what hacker movies I like: Enigma is a great one. Just watched it a few days ago and it's very interesting.

Ghost in the Sheel is also one of my fav. movies. I generally don't watch anime, but GitS is really great!

Sneakers is another one I really like.

Saw a bit of that documentry... up to the bit where they were protesting in front of Miramax.

Ghost In A Shell was good... though the ending was a little to cliche. I generally watch anime, and lots of it!

Hmm... there was this one anime about hacking I saw a while ago... forget what it was called. Maybe someone can remember? A girl was hacking without even know it, in actual fact someone was hacking for her... a hacking group.

Maybe it was Ghost In A shell... :lol: that'd be funny!

Anyways, thanks for the info guys, I'll watch sneakers, Sword Fish, WarGames & Live Free or Die Hard. (I've already seen the others).

And as for binrev being a good list... seriously, anti-trust didn't compare to Hackers or Takedown...

:huh:

Panarchy

PS: Thanks again!

hackers of course :P

hackers 2 takedown

insecurity

and wargames

those are the only hacking movies i have ever heard of lol.

Sneakers is one of my favourite movies of all time. As a kid when I saw the phone call scene the first time I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen in a movie.

It's also not lame in a way that alot of other movies tend to be. Whoever the writers were they I think they did a pretty good job.

Also, apparently the part when Janek is giving a talk and Bishop attends, all of the maths on the wall was from some guy at RSA (the company) so that it would be actual maths related to cryptography

Hackers

Wargames

Takedown

Swordfish

Sneakers

Pirates of Silicone valley

Tron

Real genius

Office space

Pi

the new die hard movie (die hard or live free?)

The matrix

Enemy of the state

have not seen the anti trust yet, is it any good?

Anti-Trust is all right... though it was a little... dunno, but wouldn't recommend watching it, unless you have nothing else to watch :rolleyes:

And thanks for the list of movies guys!

The ending of GITS was clichéd? What?

Just the way the commentator said it... I didn't like it, and though it cliché. Also it all happened to quickly...

^Thanks, I'm so downloading some of that tomorrow!

What do you think is the most education vid of them?

All of them. Browse for filenames that look interesting to you. If something turns out not to be interesting then choose another. It's not like there's a shortage.

Freedom downtime the real story and not the bullshit that's called Hackers 2 takedown

http://www.freedomdowntime.com/

Which is nice and all, but there was no Hackers 2. Nor was there a Hackers 3. Some dude just uploaded Takedown and Antitrust with those prefixes to some file sharing network or whatever and they stuck.

All of them. Browse for filenames that look interesting to you. If something turns out not to be interesting then choose another. It's not like there's a shortage.

Be quick though, the welcome message says they will be deleting files somewhere in July... Hopefully they've been lazy!

Thanks, I will do that.

Be quick though, the welcome message says they will be deleting files somewhere in July... Hopefully they've been lazy!

Shite!

Better download them this week...

Thanks for the info!

USBHacker