Is Cain & Abel audited?

PoyBoy

um, isn't cian&able open source?

hum looked on thier site, no mention of a source, so I guess its not.

Noobish question but couldn't soemone patencialy disasemble it? Like coundt one take the ASM and decompile it back to the c++. Sure it may not be the eaxt same soruce cuz leik many things equalt he same comand. example, ax=ax+1, ax=+, and ax++ all equal add ax 1 (I think). SO, couldn't someone run a disasemler, and using some parsign alagrith be liek if lien ="add ax 1" have that eqaul somthign in the soruce. Like I know diffrent compilers do it diffrently, but for the most part ASM is ASM right?

couldn't someone run a disasemler, and using some parsign alagrith be liek if lien ="add ax 1" have that eqaul somthign in the soruce. Like I know diffrent compilers do it diffrently, but for the most part ASM is ASM right?

It's possible, however it will take an incredible amount of time and effort. It's usually more cost-effective to just rebuild the thing.

um, isn't cian&able open source?

hum looked on thier site, no mention of a source, so I guess its not.

Noobish question but couldn't soemone patencialy disasemble it? Like coundt one take the ASM and decompile it back to the c++. Sure it may not be the eaxt same soruce cuz leik many things equalt he same comand. example, ax=ax+1, ax=+, and ax++ all equal add ax 1 (I think). SO, couldn't someone run a disasemler, and using some parsign alagrith be liek if lien ="add ax 1" have that eqaul somthign in the soruce. Like I know diffrent compilers do it diffrently, but for the most part ASM is ASM right?

It'd probably be easier than decyphering your typing. :-)

I was just wondering what the likelyhood of C&A taking passwords and reporting them off to someone.

Without context a password is useless.

You'd need to know:

- The service

- The machine it's running on

- The username that goes with

- The password

Without that all you can do with a password is make an educated guess what some of that person's other passwords would be.

Still, if you want to be paranoid (and remember, being paranoid is a GOOD trait! As Spider Jerusalem says in one of the Transmetropolitan books: Paranoids are simply the people who have all the facts!) set up a firewall that logs all outbound connections. Or run Ethereal to see if there's any traffic coming from your box while C&A is active.

if you wanted to could'nt you reverse engineer cain and abil.

Sure you can. You can reverse engineer anything. The only problem is that doing that is HARD, and takes a VERY long time.

could you create a script in abel that moniters a nother computer on your network

Never used it so can't help you there. Maybe some other kind soul could answer that.