Wondering What is your opinion of Revision3.com and their content

Zimmer

Hay just wondering what your opinion of revision3 is.

Mine?

I like Systm and Tekzilla but that is about it. Oh and the broken which this kinda replaces but the broken is coming back. Yay! Otherwise I don't really care for their other podcasts especially diggnation all they do is discus digg.com topics and drink no technology. (I never liked social sites like that) No :rolleyes: Myspace or :rolleyes: Facebook. Ugh!

they need to fix the site so there will be less complaints in the forums about like 20 shows making new episodes but only finding 1-2 real episodes per page because revision 3 decided to DOS their users to make sure they don't get new episodes when they are made)

what does this look like to you

revision32ol2.jpg

it is like playing where's waldo but instead of waldo, your looking for new episodes

Current:

Best Of... - Pointless. Useless. Waste of space.

Diggnation - About the only thing I download consistently from Rev3. Could be about anything and occasionally has a good angle on something. Opportunities to rant are good.

The Digg Reel - Condensed YouTube. Utter tripe. Kill it. Kill it already, damnit.

Epic Fu - Not bad, saw a couple of episodes when it first hit Rev3 and it has good and bad points much like anything. Watchable but I won't go out of my way to download it. Not the worst show in the world, however.

The GigaOm Show - Maybe it's improved since but it desperately needed a kick in the ass last I saw it. Good idea, good guest, but Om just can't make anything interesting for longer than half a minute. Nothing against the guy, I'm sure he knows his stuff, but I'm not sure he works well as a main host.

iFanboy - I'm not into comics and stuff like that so this never appealed to me. That's why I've never seen it and have no opinion on the show itself. It's nice to know that there are shows for ComicBookGuy out there though.

Internet Superstar - I. Hate. Martin. Sergent. That is all.

PixelPerfect - Cool, a Photoshop show. I don't happed to own or use Photoshop but from what I've seen of the show it's quite good. Reminds me of kids art shows from the 90s on British kids TV.

popSiren - It's good, but not *that* good. I just couldn't be bothered to download it after the first few shows because as much as it has some good content, it's a little meat in a massive wad of pastry (for lack of a batter analogy). The science stuff is good, the "omganotherawesomewebsite" stuff isn't. I don't need web picks, I pick them myself. Has potential, they just have to cut the web2.0 bs.

The Revision3 Gazette - Well... the idea was nice... shame it died though. I guess they got bored or tired of doing it. I liked the real behind the scenes stuff, I did not like Fruit Club and that stupid VC song. Give me behind the scenes again. Please.

Scam School - I don't think I've seen a whole episode of this yet, anything under 10 minutes seems pretty pointless, I like stuff long and worthwhile downloading and/or storing. Sounds like a watered down rip of 5 minutes from The Real Hustle but whatever, some people love this stuff.

Systm - It's had a few decent episodes but lately it's left me wondering where the good stuff went. The combat robots was one of the most interesting episode for me. Overclocking your PC? I thought Systm was hardcore...?

Tekzilla - Dropped, got boring and pointless. Sure it's still good for those less knowledgeable though. Better since Veronica replaced Jessica but still not enough. Eye candy does not replace content. Patrick could be doing so much more.

The Totally Rad Show - Enjoyed the feel of the show and some of the offbeat segments like Dan Becomes a Man, and (I think this may have been one of them, but) when Wil Harris teaches them how to drink tea correctly. Good, fun stuff, but the actual point of the show - the content - doesn't interest me, so it was inevitable that eventually it'd drop off my list.

Web Drifter - I. Used. To. Hate. Martin. Sergent.

Wine Library Reserve - Sorry Gary, no love from me on this one. The idea's nice but meh, can't stick to it.

Wine Library TV - Same again I'm afraid. The energy is nice (if occasionally a little OTT). I still don't "get" this show. This is wine for the masses, right? So stop telling me there's an infusion of willow and a hint of cheddar. Joe Shmoe doesn't understand this stuff.

XLR8R TV - Dunno, if I've seen it, it was a while ago and I wasn't impressed, else I'd remember it.

Deceased:

thebroken - Was fine in its time but it's long dead now. Bringing it back even for one more episode would be a mistake, the hosts just aren't who they were any more. Even episode 4 didn't work well as a thebroken episode. This show came from the days of From The Shadows and Packet Sniffers. This stuff was back when a bunch of geeks got hold a camera and went batshit crazy with it. New thebroken and indeed Rev3 as a whole is not this time. Sorry folks, but even if Kevin does bring it back, it's dead.

InDigital - Arguably one of the best shows Rev3 ever had. Ended due to "disagreements" in how things were to continue. Hosts and company couldn't agree so it died and whether people like to believe it or not, it got replaced with Tekzilla (which was in my view a very poor replacement, especially to begin with). It had good content, interesting an fun hosts and it made me download it every episode, I used to wait for it to be posted. Did Tekzilla fill the void for me? No. Do I miss InDigital? Most definitely. I'd ask for another show similar to it but I don't think it'd be the same without the same sets and hosts. Oh well, all good things come to an end I guess, just wish that one hadn't. Bastards.

Social Brew - I didn't know this was dead until I just checked Rev3's website. Personally I say good riddance. It was a poor show that was hard to watch and would've been even harder to source constant content for. A show about social networking was never going to last. At least they're trying new things.

Ctrl+Alt+Chicken - Another very good show which died before its time. It was fun and it was worth watching despite having no technical content whatsoever. Shame, we need more shows that appeal to geeks but aren't computing/tech based, and cooking was probably one of the best ideas.

Infected - I. Still. Hate. Martin. Sergent.

NotMTV - Was a good idea I guess but it seems it just didn't work out. Don't think I watched it at all but it had to appeal to someone, right?

I think that just about covers the shows. I was going to comment on the company itself but I'm not really qualified to do so. I'm glad they exist but I'm not entirely sure about the form they currently exist in. when thebroken, Systm, Diggnation started, everything felt new and exciting, now it kinda feels almost like Rev3 could be found on channel 928 of your local cable or satellite provider's EPG. I was going to say they feel mainstream but they don't, not just yet. A lot of this stuff (Systm, Tekzilla) is fairly specific to the computing demographic. Then again, so is podcasting and IPTV. I'm done here, if I wasn't I'd ramble for ever about nothing in particular. IPTV is dead. Long live TV via IP. Or something.

Dito I usually just subscribe to the iTunes feed and than watch them on my ipod (also same with Hak5 Sorry :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Though the one podcast I always am looking forward too is labrats.tv it's really less advance but its a good checkup. Also that was my first podcast before that I didn't know about this stuff and I actually stumbled upon it by accident by just typing in labrats and it went to labrats.tv.

Dito I usually just subscribe to the iTunes feed and than watch them on my ipod (also same with Hak5 Sorry :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Though the one podcast I always am looking forward too is labrats.tv it's really less advance but its a good checkup. Also that was my first podcast before that I didn't know about this stuff and I actually stumbled upon it by accident by just typing in labrats and it went to labrats.tv.

w00t, I love Lab Rats. This would be the perfect show to get my mom and siblings to watch. They dont know that much about comptuers.

revision 3 would be good if they can remove the crap.

get rid of crap shows listed below

Best Of... (they should slap all of them when ever they release one of these )

Scam School

iFanboy

Wine Library Reserve

XLR8R TV

Wine Library TV

The Totally Rad Show (a little boring and esoteric )

Internet Superstar (most episodes are boring but theres a ok one once in a while )

revision 3 would be good if they can remove the crap.

get rid of crap shows listed below

Best Of... (they should slap all of them when ever they release one of these )

Scam School

iFanboy

Wine Library Reserve

XLR8R TV

Wine Library TV

The Totally Rad Show (a little boring and esoteric )

Internet Superstar (most episodes are boring but theres a ok one once in a while )

One mans crap is another mans treasure.

I love Revision3 for their content as well their role in making IPTV bigger and better. Some shows are better than others, but I guess that's a given, and like Darren said: "one mans crap is another mans treasure."

One thing about Revision3 though, and in particular Diggnation, is that sometimes the casual, fanboy-ish attitude is a little too much. Lately, watching Diggnation seems more about Alex and Kevin reading out story descriptions and just talking about themselves and how they're a "huuuuge fan" of everything and anything that's cool or populair. I miss the more critical, in-depth approach of the earlier episodes.

But, all in all, I love Rev3.

I like scamschool, but i would have to agree with Moonlit that it is too short. I find it annoying that it comes out once a week and goes for only a few mins. If it was daily at that length it would be better.

I like diggnation. Kevin and Alex are funnt

I really like Totally Rad Show, Diggnation, and Wine Library TV. I like the reviews on TRS- they help me pick movies to go see. Diggnation is just funny to watch cuz of the weird shit Kevin and Alex go on rants about. Wine Library TV is a very niche show. If you haven't ever gone to a wine tasting, they are generally free and I suggest you do before you write off wine as crap. I thought wine sucked before I went to a professional wine tasting and then I started watching WLTV. I guess I got a new respect for the show after understanding teh culture a bit more by experiencing it on my own.

There are too many people trying to get into the spotlight. I think that is why there is so much crap. A lot of the idea's are not bad really, they just aren't developed enough to base a weekly show on. If you want to produce a reoccurring show, there needs to be new, changing content. I think there is more potential in movie/documentary like shows. Something that you could take a small idea, and instead of stringing you along for 5min every week, lay it all out there in a 1 hour to 1-1/2 hour show. Problem with that is there is no reoccurring "star".

Off and on I read this comic, Ctrl-Alt-Del, and a while back the writer started animating it. I was all sorts of in, but when the episodes came out, I felt like I much rather would have just read a 4-6 cell strip. The entire 3 minutes of show had only 30 seconds (maybe) of content. It was all opening and closing credits.

Back on track though, I watch Diggnation and TRS. I really enjoyed Ctrl-Alt-Chicken. Tekzilla and Systm are relatively interesting, and theBroken was great for it's time. The rest, I really could do without. Although Web drifter is entertaining when it comes around.

I would like to see Rev3 go back to their old layout, keep things simple and drop the little shows and make more long form shows. Do their weekly stuff, but throw in a long informative film/documentary every now and then.

IPTV has really changed in just a few years, from my point of view at least. I remember watching thebroken and looking at it as the real life "hack the planet". To me, it has lost it's edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Revision3's content or hate it (love most of it personally), you do have to appreciate the awesome-ness of what they do. You can't find content like that on traditional television, unless you're fine with watching American Idol all the time. Having a portal to watch or download the content that interests you most and interact with others is what the whole "web 2.0" / "social networking" / "new media" / "insert buzzword here" is all about.

Congrats hak5 guys on joining up with Rev3.

I say replace everyone with Patrick Norton.

IPTV or whatever people what to call it should be more like this http://www.citizenengineer.com/

Good link. edit:

is just ... I don't have the words.. loving the sim card stuff though.

As for the rev3 stuff:

A lot of their content apes exactly what I hated about normal t.v. Not interesting. Diggnation is ok though.

hak.5 rev3 love in:

With Wess now 'officially' gone, I hope the show keeps improving. The rapport Darren and Wess had was a *major* factor in the success of the show. This rapport needs to be reproduced somehow. Also remember that it is a fine line between a hacker show and tech magazine show.

I'm sure it'll be all good though...