Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron)

digip

Has anyone tried creating a VM with Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron) for i386 Desktop?

FOr the life of me I can't get it to load. It locks up VMware once it gets to the desktop. I downloaded it twice from two different locations, and they both have the correct MD5 check sum, but wanted to be sure it wasn't the ISO somehow. I can get it to read the disc, prompts for the menu, I select any of them, like Live disc or to install and they both lock up once I see the wallpaper fo rthe desktop. No toolbars load or icons f rthe desktop, just rhe heron wallpaper shows up and then VMware totally freezes, never to recover. I try to stop the machine, it tells me ubuntu is busy and never returns control to Vmware.

edit: Think I might be on to the problem. The log shows a multiple entries for:

mouse| MKS MsgMouse dropping packet, queue is full!

So it might be a problem with my pc mouse, or the virtual one it trys to render. Not really sure yet.

edit: Ok, I found a fix in this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/53907

Seems it has happened to others before, so if anyone ever has an iddus with a VM freezing, check the logs for the same error. If so, go into the control panel, click mouse, hardware tab, properties, then advanced settings. Set sample rate and input buffer to something like 200 or more and it should fix the issue. If not, check the log again and see what error you get next.

The install is working so far...

What is your host OS?

XP Pro 32 bit.

It was a mouse related issue, see my above post. Probably wouldn't have happened if I was running Ubuntu natively, but i wanted to try it in a VM first.

Well, it looks like everything is working now. Installed fine and only took a few minutes to complete. I'm surprised at how fast it installed. I wonder if it would install that fast if it weren't in a VM?

@sparda - from your experience with Ubuntu, what is the fastest load time you have seen for an install?

Well, after a lengthy bit of playing, installing Opera, all the listed updates, and then rebooting, it now locks up VMware again. Same issue. I can't imagine it being a mouse issue alone, but more a VMware issue than anything else. Things were goign well until I rebooted Ubuntu. Oh well, this is why I only play with linux and don't do a native install. It probably isn't Ubuntu's fault, but I never had this issue with any other VM's.

Well, after a lengthy bit of playing, installing Opera, all the listed updates, and then rebooting, it now locks up VMware again. Same issue. I can't imagine it being a mouse issue alone, but more a VMware issue than anything else. Things were goign well until I rebooted Ubuntu. Oh well, this is why I only play with linux and don't do a native install. It probably isn't Ubuntu's fault, but I never had this issue with any other VM's.

Did you set VMware to expect a 2.6 kernel?

Did you set VMware to expect a 2.6 kernel?

I have tried multiple options. Even loading over a windows install. Running the live disc option works (When I increase the mouse input buffer length for windows) but I neve rhad to do that before in any VM's I created. Maybe I should load it on my XP 64bit which has a later version ov Vmware. Im running 5.5 on XP32bit and 6.0 on XP64bit.