MSI Wind, promiscuous mode?

xaraz

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a MSI Wind but would like to know if the wifi card can be put in promiscuous mode at all. I would probably need to run linux on it, but that's no problem. I just want to know if it's possible. Otherwise I'm waiting for the EEE 1000 to finally make it to europe. At least I'm assuming Asus hasn't switched to a different wifi card in those.

Anyone have any experience with this yet?

Even if it can't, USB Wifi cards are fairly cheap, usually under $40.00. Just make sure the card you guy has drivers for it. If you are going for something like Backtrack, check their HCL for compatible cards and what works and doesn't. Read the list carefully. Just because they list it doesn't mean it works, as they review ones that work and ones that don't.(It would be easier if they only added ones that work 100%).

http://wiki.remote-exploit.org/index.php/HCL:Wireless

If your chipset is listed, then you can see if it works. If it does, then it's just a matter of installing the drivers for the distribution you want(or just stick with BT which has drivers for the ones on the page).

And with Auto-NDISwrapper things should be alot easier

I thought that with ndis wrappers the cards won't be able to do monitor mode, just managed mode, or is that not a true statement?

You're right. My bad :(. Well at the very least you can get online and what not..

I'm not saying I am right, I just wondered if that were true since I heard it somewhere but couldn't remember where. I don't work with Linux on a daily basis, so I really wanted to know more for myself than anything else.

I see conflicting opinions on google, so if anyone can confirm this, it would be nice.

I haven't been able to find any info regarding the Realtek 8187SE. I did find some info on the 8187 (without SE) which seems to be chipset used in a usb device. That one can be put in monitor (promiscuous) mode. Would it be safe to assume the SE version can do the same?

Linux drivers and how to from the MSI forums HERE. Some people talk about using the card with aircrack and what not but the topics all seem to end abruptly :(. I guess the best thing to do it try it.. At the very least you will be able to get online and scan networks, but packet injection prolly wont work.

Promiscuous mode

Is a configuration of a network card that makes the card pass all traffic it receives to the central processing unit rather than just packets addressed to it — a feature normally used for packet sniffing.

Monitor Mode

Allows a computer with a wireless network interface card (NIC) to monitor all traffic received from the wireless network. Unlike promiscuous mode, which is also used for packet sniffing, monitor mode allows packets to be captured without having to associate with an access point or ad-hoc network first. Monitor mode only applies to wireless networks, while promiscuous mode can be used on both wired and wireless networks. Monitor mode is one of the six modes that 802.11 wireless cards can operate in: Master (acting as an access point), Managed (client, also known as station), Ad-hoc, Mesh, Repeater, and Monitor mode.