Vista Backup is Full of Fail

natural_orange

I recently moved the contents of my entire drive External WD Passport drive onto another computer, excrypted the entire drive, and moved all the data back on to it.

Only I come to find out that Vista Backup Center won't recognize the drive...

What gives? Is this a flaw with TrueCrypt or with Vista Backup Center?

Is there any way to get this to work? or do I have to find another backup tool?

I recently moved the contents of my entire drive External WD Passport drive onto another computer, excrypted the entire drive, and moved all the data back on to it.

Only I come to find out that Vista Backup Center won't recognize the drive...

What gives? Is this a flaw with TrueCrypt or with Vista Backup Center?

Is there any way to get this to work? or do I have to find another backup tool?

Well TrueCrypt on it's own fails, well unless they have fixed a handful of security issues.

If I go to change the backup settings, it doesn't list it as a device to backup to. It doesn't recognize it as a hardware HDD drive for some reason.

You have to open true crypt and point it to drive as if it were a file, mount, type password, and then open/store files to the device. If Vista can't see there is something hooked up to it, even just a file it can't open because of the encryption, then best bet is try it on an XP machine and undo everything you did. If XP can't see it, then you foo bared something.

I have an external USB HDD that is True Crypted. 80gig of files on it and works fine, so either Vista sux balls or you messed up something somewhere.

The problem is not TrueCrypt - it works without any problems, the drive shows up in my computer, i can read/write to the drive.

The problem is Vista Backup, it has a design flaw, it won't allow you to backup to certain kinds of drives, im guessing its mistaking the truecrypt drive for something like a USB flash drive.

Why don't I see the location I want to back up to in the Back Up Files wizard?

When you choose a location to save your backup to, the wizard searches your computer and displays a list of all locations that you can use. If the location that you want to use doesn't appear in the list, it could be due to one of the following problems:

• The location is a tape drive. You can't save backups to tapes.
  • The location is the disk that you are trying to back up. You can't back up a disk to itself. For example, you can't back up the contents of drive E to drive E.
  • The location is a CD-ROM drive. You can't use a CD-ROM drive to make a backup; you must use a CD burner, also known as a CD-R or CD-RW drive.

• The location is a USB flash drive. You can't save backups to a flash drive.
The location is not formatted as NTFS, FAT, or Universal Disk Format (UDF) (also called Live File System). Backups can only be saved to disks that are formatted using the NTFS, FAT, or UDF file systems. For more information, see Comparing NTFS and FAT file systems.The location is either the system disk (the disk that Windows is installed on—also called the C drive) or the boot disk (the disk that Windows uses to start your computer—also called the startup disk). The location is a network share on a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. You can't save backups to these shares because setting permissions on network shares and authenticating over a network are not supported by Windows XP Home Edition.

The problem is not TrueCrypt - it works without any problems, the drive shows up in my computer, i can read/write to the drive.

The problem is Vista Backup, it has a design flaw, it won't allow you to backup to certain kinds of drives, im guessing its mistaking the truecrypt drive for something like a USB flash drive.

What happens if you back it up to your current hdd, then copy the backup over manually? Would that work to restore from later by doing the reverse - copy them form true crypt drive to hdd then restore the backup?

Hrmm as much as the error seems to be with Vista Backup, it really isnt a Design flaw, Vista backup was never created with the intentions of being used with TrueCrypt, I suggest going with digip's last post, it will take longer to backup / restore, but it will work.

I've decided to just not use it, instead im gonna use Acronis TrueImage. Its very nice sofware that i've had for a while since I use it at work quite often.

It will give me more control over what I want to backup than Vista Backup does, and I can setup a script to run before and/or after backup to run CCleaner and other applications.

Vista backup was backing up like 70GB of stuff, most of which I don't really need. This is backing up like 8GB of stuff that I really need. Provides compression, and another layer of security with encryption.

I will play around with it for a while and let you know if i have any issues. I shouldn't since all the backups are saved to one .tib file so i can move it around pretty easy.