BBC out of touch?

Rab

i don't think it's that far out of touch. the article does cover the topic in a fair manner. Both sides of the argument were touched on. Personally i think the mouse will be around for a lot longer than three years, but we have seen an explosion in alternative input systems. The Wii is a great example of how gesturing could be in the future for PC's.

As for the title, any news organization will try to make a short exciting title to grab people's attention. Compared to news in the US, BBC is as unbiased and balanced as they come.

I think it would be cool if we had an interface like in Minority Report.

3 to 5 years? Doubtful. I can see how gestures and touchscreens can be used instead of a mouse... but what am I gonna do when I wanna change guns in HL2DM, and I have to use the keyboard numbers instead, and then I have to hold some some new button to use the special right click gun? :(

Microsoft has been pushing tablet PC / touch screens for years, with no real take up. I don't see the mouse going anywhere for a very long time. The only reason people are talking about in now is because Apple made a fashion item/phone with one and companies are trying to jump on the bandwagon with everything else.

Has anyone thought how hard it would be to check your email on a minority report style screen? All these ideas about haptic interfaces, gesture control etc seem to ignore that the mouse and keyboard are actually quite useful for a 2D/2.5D interface.

to expand a bit on my earlier reply..

i think the mouse will be around for quite a while, since it performs as more than just a pointer. and for today's software it's still an integral part for it's usage. but i could see how as companies start pushing other technologies, software will start to support them more. I like my mouse, and i'll hold onto it until it's pried from my cold dead hands.

but what am I gonna do when I wanna change guns in HL2DM

i'd say if you want to still play HL2DM, you'd need a mouse, but i'd imagine new games would support whatever pointing technology will be available. and they'd do it in an intuitive and hassle free way. Or we can atleast hope.

The mouse is the best way to play any FPS

For current games, for sure! but we'll have to see what comes out in the future, and what future games will support. I just hope we never go to gamepads :P

Microsoft has been pushing tablet PC / touch screens for years, with no real take up. I don't see the mouse going anywhere for a very long time. The only reason people are talking about in now is because Apple made a fashion item/phone with one and companies are trying to jump on the bandwagon with everything else.

I LOVED my tablet and will buy a slate once I find a good one