UbuntuStudio Boot-Order

RandomClown

Hello, I have been looking for a while now, & I cant get UbuntuStudio to boot after the XP partition.

I dont understand Linux much.

I thought I had figured it out myself, but my idea failed since some files are locked.

Can anyone put it into terms for a n00b, How to change boot order?

thanks

Hello, I have been looking for a while now, & I cant get UbuntuStudio to boot after the XP partition.

I dont understand Linux much.

I thought I had figured it out myself, but my idea failed since some files are locked.

Can anyone put it into terms for a n00b, How to change boot order?

thanks

What d oyou mean by 'boot order'?

Do you mean the order in which they appare on the GRUB boot menu?

Yes, on that screen, I want to change it to look like

Windows OS

Then Linux OSes

If I dont touch anything after I turn on the computer, it will boot into windows instead of me manually.

Thanks

Hi there,

First post for me, so I hope this one will be of any help.

I had the same issue earlier this week, and the way I resolved is, was the following. The GRUB bootsystem has a file called menu.lst (/boot/grub/menu.lst), in which the bootorder is determined. You can simply edit this file by opening it in a text editor.

To get the loader to boot windows by default, there are 2 options.

You could either alter the default boot (the default is set to 0, which is Ubuntu in your case. Change the 0 to the position of Windows in the bootlist.) This will result in the list being in the same order, but the Windows option will be highlighted by default.

If you wish to have Windows on top of the list of bootable OSes like me, you can just cut the bit of code at the bottom of the file (where the WinOS boot is listed) and move it above the lines where the LinuxOSes are.

Note: As you stated yourself, some files are protected from access by normal users. This also goes for the menu.lst. Opening it in a normal way (navigating to it and rightclick 'open with text editor') would not allow you to save it. To allow write access to the file, you need to open it as an administrator.

Open the terminal (ALT-F2 to open the run window, and type gnome-terminal. Launch the application).

In the terminal, enter the following command:

sudo gedit ../../boot/grub/menu.lst

Then enter your admin password.

The sudo (superuser do), will make sure that the file is opened with administrator rights. Now you have access to the file, simply make the changes i listed above and save and close.

Another way to edit the GRUB would be using an application called QGRUBeditor, however I havent tested this application yet.