HTML question

pinkmonk98

Dreamweaver is good. When it comes to HTML Notepad+ is good enough, but dreamweaver is a good start for beginners, and many of professionals use it.

Depending on what you need, there will be better out there, if you using just HTML code, then Notepad is cheaper, and works just as well, if you need the GUI tools, then dreamweaver is more than sufficient, and easy to use.

Some prefer vi, I hate it. nano ftw!

*agrees* :P

but dreamweaver isn't bad. that's what i use at work. for simple HTML it's a bit of overkill. if you want to do more, then it's a good start. i haven't really figured everything out for it, but it seems to do some compatibility checking for you for different browsers, etc. which is nice. when dealing with javascript or php, it does seem to be lacking in syntax checking.

*agrees* :P

but dreamweaver isn't bad. that's what i use at work. for simple HTML it's a bit of overkill. if you want to do more, then it's a good start. i haven't really figured everything out for it, but it seems to do some compatibility checking for you for different browsers, etc. which is nice. when dealing with javascript or php, it does seem to be lacking in syntax checking.

If all you want is syntax highlighting, then I would go with Notepad ++ or similar. If you want GUI drag and drop WYSIWYG for people who don't really know how to code html, js, ajax, etc, then Dreamweaver is probably for you. Dreamweaver does have some advantages to coding in plain text. You don't have to worry about misspelling code and generating menus and layouts is much easier in DW.

I learnt HTML many many years ago simply using Notepad - I started learning it before I even had access to the Internet. My old Compaq PC had two or three really old websites only one page, they were basically adverts for AOL, CompuServe etc trying to get you to sign up for Dial Up :)

Anyway I started looking at what was in the file and noticed it was basically text, so I started changing words around to see what happened color=blue to color=red. Then I found a really old version of Microsoft FrontPage and was able to start playing round some more.

Dreamweaver for me is probably one of the few software products that I can say has gotten better with "age" I think the first version I had was Dreamweaver 3. Some of the code that thing generated was very very crude, and I tried several times to integrate the pages with my own and it became a nightmare to debug. The latest version (MX I think) seems to be decent, I don't use it an awful lot but find it handy to have when I want to see how something will look, or if I have forgotten how to format a tag (particularly useful for CSS I find)

You will always find people who think it’s cool to use notepad only, and while I probably could claim to be one of these people and joyfully hack away at a white screen all day long, I ask why bother? Computers and software where made to make this stuff easier, now ok maybe a strict coder could know out HTML quicker than me (as I’ve probably lost some of the thought processes by allowing Dreamweaver to insert closing tags for me) the page will come out the other side just the same.

Just an FYI I use Crimson for doing as scripting e.g. PHP, JavaScript

Then I found a really old version of Microsoft FrontPage and was able to start playing round some more.

Oh gawd help us all! i try to forget that thing exists! they made me use it for a few assignments while i was in school. it generates some of the ugliest source i've ever seen.

Just an FYI I use Crimson for doing as scripting e.g. PHP, JavaScript

and i like crimson editor too, it's quite nice.