Intercepting Satellite Images

Drake Anubis

Hi, I wrote up a thing on how to intercept NOAA LEO (Low Earth Orbiting) satellite images, if you have any remote interest in amateur radio, you'd probably find it interesting. My results aren't stellar, but you get the idea.

http://www.drakeanubis.com/?q=node/22

</pimp>

Thats pretty cool. I wonder if you can modify this to pick up web cams or street cameras and such?

Thats pretty cool. I wonder if you can modify this to pick up web cams or street cameras and such?

Well this picks up on radio transmissions on 137Mhz. Webcams would need to be transmitting, and most people don't have wireless webcams. Street cameras do transmit (like the ones you see when the news shows traffic congestion), but they usually use point-to-point microwave links to traverse the distance.

There are ways to pick up the cameras that operate on 800, 900, 1200, and 2400 Mhz. Like the room monitors, or baby monitors, that people might have. Typically this is as simple as putting a larger antenna on a receiver. (Since most scanners won't go into the ranges required).

If you wanted to pick up these cameras, the best thing to do is buy some simple receivers on ebay (since the cameras aren't protocol specific usually), modify them to be battery powered (simple, because they don't use much power just to receive), get a large antenna (probably a yagi with a high gain), and walk around.

Those cameras are very underpowered and won't go very far outside the house, even with like a +24dbi gain antenna you need to be close.

I tried the program, but I get nothing but snowy images. I am using a uniden bearcat bc60xlt-1 to record the audio, and the auto start and trackign system works and does the recoding when there is supposedly a sattelite over head, but I never get any pictures. Just large black and white snow.

It recorded over a dozen wav files, but none of them seem to have any images with detail of any kind.

I trie dth program, but I get nothing but snowy images. I am using a uniden bearcat bc60xlt-1 to record the audio, and the auto start and trackign system works and does the recoding when there is supposedly a sattelite over head, but I never get any pictures. Just large black and white snow.

It recorded over a dozen wav files, but none of them seem to have any images with detail of any kind.

Well I'm not exactly an except in satellite communications, but can you hear the sound of the satellite?

Well I'm not exactly an except in satellite communications, but can you hear the sound of the satellite?

Up, I hear a disticnt difference between it and any other frequencies on the radio. It's much smoother and almost modem beeping sort of sound at times, but nothing short of white noise.

The wavs sound like the ones you created.

Up, I hear a disticnt difference between it and any other frequencies on the radio. It's much smoother and almost modem beeping sort of sound at times, but nothing short of white noise.

The wavs sound like the ones you created.

Email me a copy of the wave, I'd like to see it. DrakeAnubis@@gmail.com (help stop spam).

Also, what are you using for an antenna?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I really like this and think its very cool, great work, can the type of soundcard you use change the qaulity of your image or even make it not appear, also is there a booster mod for the antenna making the signal stronger on fm radio or a scanner.. And last but not least when will you come up with a way to control the satalites and move them at will..

:D

Hey I really like this and think its very cool, great work, can the type of soundcard you use change the qaulity of your image or even make it not appear, also is there a booster mod for the antenna making the signal stronger on fm radio or a scanner.. And last but not least when will you come up with a way to control the satalites and move them at will..

:D

The soundcard isn't going to help much, the hard part is getting a good signal from the satellite.

If you look online you can find instructions for making really good antennas that are tuned to just that right frequency.

You could actually send commands to the satellite if you understood their protocol, had a powerful transmitter, and knew what the "password" + time based token, was.

Im recording as we speak, but all I get is some white fuzz, and couple of vertical lines.

I have to turn the squelch all the way to min to get any kind of audio... is that normal or is something probably wrong with my scanner then?

Its a really cool idea, I just wish there was a better/easier way to do it...

I have to turn the squelch all the way to min to get any kind of audio... is that normal or is something probably wrong with my scanner then?

Yes the squelch should be down all the way, but this looks like random noise, usually if it's working you can at least see changes as the satellite passes over. Are you sure that your scanner is set correctly, can you hear satellites as they pass? If so, are you sure the connection into the computer is good?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just using the standard metal straight antenna, which is probably pretty poor quality. I'm not sure if i can hear it going over, i change to channel, get a bunch of static and turn it off. The connection to my computer is pretty good.

I probably need a better antenna, if not a newer scanner.

I was out on the lake Big Bear California with my brother and passed the local observatory (I think it a college owned) and told my brother about the pics from the weather sat and wondered if anyone knew of something similar for the astronomy sats?

• 9 months later...

I am VERY interested in doing this, I have a nice big CB radio antenna would that work well?

Also is it possible to use the cb radio itself to obtain the signal? probably too much interference, I'm not sure I have anything that would pick up such a freq do you guys have any ideas?

Citizen Band (CB) is in the 28MHz range, SSB I think is even lower ~7MHz IIRC. You're best best is to use what the original author stated.

Now on the tidbit of wireless baby cameras and such. Since these are low power devices if you really want to see them you could drive around with one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Camera-Receiv...%3A1%7C294%3A50

However, using it may violate local laws. There are other methods since the operational frequencies are known to homebrew something. ;)

Citizen Band (CB) is in the 28MHz range, SSB I think is even lower ~7MHz IIRC. You're best best is to use what the original author stated.

Now on the tidbit of wireless baby cameras and such. Since these are low power devices if you really want to see them you could drive around with one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Camera-Receiv...%3A1%7C294%3A50

However, using it may violate local laws. There are other methods since the operational frequencies are known to homebrew something. ;)

yeah CB is 27Mhz (this includes SSB which is a mode not a frequency..) which is a HF freq. 137Mhz is a vhf freq. a good starting point for an antenna is a basic dipole as stated earlier which would be in the region of (300/137) which gives a wavelength of 2.18M , thus 2.18/4=54CM which basically means 54CM for a main element and the same for ground , thus 1.08M , however this is a basic antenna without much gain , but it should be about resonant. using wire for this antenna should be ok , but it needs to be in the clear and outside..... I wonder if such satellites are available here in the uk?

yeah CB is 27Mhz (this includes SSB which is a mode not a frequency..) which is a HF freq. 137Mhz is a vhf freq. a good starting point for an antenna is a basic dipole as stated earlier which would be in the region of (300/137) which gives a wavelength of 2.18M , thus 2.18/4=54CM which basically means 54CM for a main element and the same for ground , thus 1.08M , however this is a basic antenna without much gain , but it should be about resonant. using wire for this antenna should be ok , but it needs to be in the clear and outside..... I wonder if such satellites are available here in the uk?

Also it was stated that most scanners would not do the bandwidth , I remeber my old JIL 400 would do wideband FM on all freq's and as far as modifying old FM radio's, if you had one with a dial tuner (air capacitor) then normally you can just open the radio and screwdriver the capacitor , some radios only go up maybe 10Megs , some maybe 50... so 137 is perfectly possible a pre-amp would be definately needed too as well as that all important part - a decent antenna.I used to modify radio's this way to pick up the police which actually was an AM transmission but it was perfectly audiable on FM. I would also assume most PMR HI band gear would be useful for this too...

I wonder,

If we can pick up these frequencies cant we use the same type of data and transmit them over the fm band and then pick them up on the computer?

I mean can we use a similar setup to broadcast a camera for example to our computers with an fm transmitter/reciever.. Even if not as far

I mean can we use a similar setup to broadcast a camera for example to our computers with an fm transmitter/reciever.. Even if not as far

You mean, can we use radio waves to carry un-digital information? Like one of those analog 900mhz wireless cameras (commonly sold as baby monitors at walmart)?

Yeah we can do that :)

I wonder,

If we can pick up these frequencies cant we use the same type of data and transmit them over the fm band and then pick them up on the computer?

look up SSTV (slow scan TV), basically the same idea. a good piece of software for this is mixw32...

I mean can we get something that take video or images and then emulate the sounds from the satellite and then re-broadcast it on a standard fm station for others to pick up?