Why your not a hacker.

dejai

Breaking into systems is not hacking, it is cracking. If you wish to use hacking in its original and correct term it may only be given to great programmers, who have been referred to as hackers by the culture. Breaking into systems makes you a cheap script kiddy or cracker. You will never be a hacker if you crack systems. Now discuss! I believe the above.

well this is true , but i wouldn't say that breaking into people systems makes you a cracker , you can also be an "ethical hacker " or a "pentester" and break into peoples systems with their permission

and i think most people here aren't crackers but just geeks and programmers , my view of hackers

What a load of shit, discovering exploits for things like routers and other network eqipment and than taking advantage of them for things like setting up a VPN or just setting up something like utcpdump is fun and takes skill. Taking over satellite ground station in other country is also a lot of fun. If your just using premade tools and exploits and have no idea what you are doing than in all fairness, yeah your a skiddy.

I don't believe in disclosure, keep things you find to yourself and maybe a handful of friends as knowledge is power. This hacker/cracker bullshit is stupid, no one of any worth gives a fuck.

What are you even asking or are you just disrupting? Breaking into systems can be hacking. If you use other peoples codes its called cracking. Any White Hat system admin worth his own will attempt to hack his own system..

Everyone uses others code until they can figure it out themselves..

"Now discuss! I believe the above." do i need to comment?

Isnt the definition of a hacker someone who manipulates or alters something to do something it wasnt originally intended to do?

The word hacker is thrown about alot, and I dont think it often means what people think it does.

Yes, thats what most of us mean by 'we are hackers'.

Its a conversational topic, but with 90% of girls its pretty much pointless. Some women seem to appreciate intelligence matched with a vaguely dangerous command of the technology that powers the world though. Its how you play it in the end.

Its a conversational topic, but with 90% of girls its pretty much pointless. Some women seem to appreciate intelligence matched with a vaguely dangerous command of the technology that powers the world though. Its how you play it in the end.

Does saying, im into tech, or im rather a computer geek, sound too nerdy if it was said to a girl?

Does saying, im into tech, or im rather a computer geek, sound too nerdy if it was said to a girl?

"Fnyar, fnyar, I'm a *snort* computer nerd... but itsh sho cool!" does not, oddly enough.

discovering your own exploits can be seen as hacking as your using your skills to both discover and exploit

but if you write code to take advantage of an exploit discovered by someone else then it is pretty much cracking

but in plain English it is easier to generalize it and call it all hacking like it has been for years

easier to remember and both pretty much send the same message to the novice computer user but the term hacker has been used more often so it is more widely known