Get rid of windows weekend

snakey

Ok so i have been using windows since 3.1 and i have been quite reluctant to change OS to linux. but i am currently posting on my bt3 beta live cd and im likeing it. so im going to bite the bullet and install bt3 on my laptop as the only OS this weekend. so i purpose that anyone that want to pertisipate should install a linux OS on there machine and post some pic and see how many machines we can get de-windows. :)

Meh, my Windows will remain, and will be reinforced with 6GB of ram and Vista x64 or Server 2008 x64 (i use it as a desktop OS at work, aside from CD burning not working, its everything Vista should have been).

But then again I run and love FreeBSD boxes as well as a few linux things in addition. I just realized that people who pay you to work with computers are more often than no running Windows. In fact, Linux jobs are very rare unless your looking to be a developer. If you want to work as a sysadmin you need to know windows.

Lastly, your installing backtrack 3 as your main OS? Why in gods name are you doing that? If you want to try a usable desktop linux then stick to ubuntu or fedora. Way more support, way better for the task in hand and there are idiot proof guides to pretty much any task a mere google away. Backtrack is pretty much an one trick pony, and was developed specifically to be a tool rather than a desktop os. Your going to miss so much and set yourself up for problems. Of course if you really want to understand how a nix OS works, install FreeBSD minimal and build it yourself ;-)

Im in need of re-installing FC on in my VM, but thats as far as ill take it, Linux wont be my host OS anytime soon.

The reason, Windows works, i have no issue with it, though i really could do with that 6gb of RAM.

nope, not deleting windows... you know you have to have it for some reasons, sometimes your pushed in the windows way cause some programs aren't develloped to run on other OSs than windows. Maybe i'll delete some pc's windows once I am home ( I'm now (since 5 days ors so) on a holliday in Italy for 2 weeks^^ )

It would have been a lot easier if windows was open source... then we might get insight in how to run EXE files properly on other OSs...

I kinda like how windoze is right now, if it was open source people would have focused on making it better and linux wouldn't be where it is now. i dual boot but have been using windows a lot more lately. like a lot of people here have said windows is what you need to know if you want an IT related job. its unfortunate but makes you feel better when you fix problems for people that you wont get at home on your non windows PC.

I dual boot 2 copies of windows xp pro and 1 copy of ubuntu

and one thing that I notice is that for everyday use, windows is just easier and quicker to use.

you wouldn't believe how frustrating it is to get proper audigy 2zs drivers working in ubuntu

no matter how you word it, command line will never beat point and click

the time it takes for someone to do this in linux, I could install at least 30 different programs in windows (not that I would want to)

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-b...eisty-fawn.html

while command line is good for certain things, linux makes too much use of it making simple things that can be done in 1 or 2 clicks in windows, take a great deal of time in a linux based os

thats why windows has so much of the PC market

no matter how you put it, the average user just finds it easier to double click on a program to install it than to go through all the steps in a linux os

I still use ubuntu a lot but for now it is just not useful for me to use as a main OS

I am not hating or linux or anything but for getting everyday things done easily and quickly, windows just does it better as it is able to make almost everything GUI based

CLI can be very frustrating but the challenge is what i was looking for. click next press ok agree go to your email and confirm got to boring. but for the average user this works fine. and without these people a lot of us wouldn't have a job.