Use Modem to link up phone with skype

kurt

Is it possible that I hook up the mouth-piece (the part where you listen and talk, I don't know the real term) to a Modem input, and then have it as a sound input for things like Skype, or even Windows Sound Recorder?

Is it possible that I hook up the mouth-piece (the part where you listen and talk, I don't know the real term) to a Modem input, and then have it as a sound input for things like Skype, or even Windows Sound Recorder?

That's what Asterix is all about.

Oh, what if I want to just replace my mic jack with a modem?

I have an old external "56K Fax/Voice modem", I think Phonic Pro make it and that has an audio in and out on it, along with software to allow you to record everything or use your computer as an answer machine with one or two clicks. You can just plug the output into the mic jack and anything you want should be able to hear it.

I know you can do what you want with the one I have, so look on ebay or something, it can't cost more that £15 now. You will need a serial port as USB to RS232 adapters are a little hit and miss.

I know you can do what you want with the one I have, so look on ebay or something, it can't cost more that £15 now. You will need a serial port as USB to RS232 adapters are a little hit and miss.

I'm pretty sure that a PCI modem (or I suspect ISA or AMR modems if you have the appropriate slots) will do just the same thing, providing it has the mic/phone jacks you mention. The problem will be the actual physical connection though, you might need to hack off the end of the handset cable and replace it with 3.5mm mono audio plugs.

Probably the wrong way to go about the task in hand though, why would you want to hook up a handset to a PC? Seems a little impractical when you could use desk mics or headsets.

I'm pretty sure that a PCI modem (or I suspect ISA or AMR modems if you have the appropriate slots) will do just the same thing, providing it has the mic/phone jacks you mention. The problem will be the actual physical connection though, you might need to hack off the end of the handset cable and replace it with 3.5mm mono audio plugs.

Probably the wrong way to go about the task in hand though, why would you want to hook up a handset to a PC? Seems a little impractical when you could use desk mics or headsets.

The only reason I can think off for having the audio from a modem running into Skype would be too play a live feed from a phone line, like if you want to let some hear an interesting number with out having to record it or give the person the number.