Social engeneering moment

tim.vangehugten

I would like to know which was your most fun social engineering moment in your life?

Cause my wireless router was broken (I plugged in the wrong adapter so it was messed up). And I went to the store and explained them everything that it was yesterday broken when lighting hit my house (I don't know how that phenomenon is called in English) and I acted really stupid etc like someone here on hak5 advised to do and they gave me a new wireless router for FREE (if you would buy it it would cost 107.5€) , cause the router I owned was just a year on the market and there was 2 year guarantee. But they just gave it without asking anything or controlling anything. So I would like to know what your most precious moment was.

im not sure that counts as social engineering, isn't that just a lie?

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information.[1] While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

I say that was social engineering, and a good example, yes it as a lie but isn't that what you would do to manipulate some one into giving you information, sometimes you lie pretending to be other people whether you meet them or not.

PS I did mention about acting dumb in another post another example of how sometimes its the easiest method, it gives the person in the shop a great feeling and makes them feel good as they are helping some less technical than them ;) :rolleyes:

um yeah i was putting a computer for a customer together and bent about 20 pins on the cpu i straighted em all out except 1 so i sent it back and said it came bent and they sent me a new one :) pretty much just lieing but hey its similar