Vista Copyright with music

Rampant

Hey again, I am getting problems on my friends machine when he tries to burn music which has been made for him by a DJ. the music has portions of Michael Jackson songs in them and other bands in which breech some sort of copyright protection scheme between Sony records and microsoft. In any case he is using legal music but is prompted to input a product code to burn a working file to a cd, the portions which are used are from vinyl and are ages old, pre-internet and thus he has no chance of being able to produce set code. Is there a way to get around this?

A free alternative would be greatly appreciated, i thought of nero but im not sure if that will work. He is using Vista Home. Thanks in advance. No www.google.com answers please, it is my friend but not for this case, microsoft spam kills me.

Well, if the file is DRM'd there really isn't much you can do -but- if your savy with audio programs and your sound card supports it(why it wouldn't?) You can record a wav of the playing audio and then burn it to any cd. No drm to get in the way. Just have to get the audio levels set properly so they don't clip.

Hey again, I am getting problems on my friends machine when he tries to burn music which has been made for him by a DJ. the music has portions of Michael Jackson songs in them and other bands in which breech some sort of copyright protection scheme between Sony records and microsoft. In any case he is using legal music but is prompted to input a product code to burn a working file to a cd, the portions which are used are from vinyl and are ages old, pre-internet and thus he has no chance of being able to produce set code. Is there a way to get around this?

A free alternative would be greatly appreciated, i thought of nero but im not sure if that will work. He is using Vista Home. Thanks in advance. No www.google.com answers please, it is my friend but not for this case, microsoft spam kills me.

Free alternative... to what?

Oh, and just for suggesting it wasn't what you wanted to hear, try google.com. You think I'm taking the piss, I'm serious.

because it's a 'HD' (read DRM) sound card.

I have never seen a sound card that can't record the sound coming from the pc itself. I do it all the time to rip things from webvideo and drm'd wma files. You just need a program like Soundforge or Cool Edit and set the recording input on the soundcard to either wav or "what you hear" and then click record before you start playing the audio source. Alternatively if a soundcard doesn't have that option(must be a shit card if it doesn't) you just need two pc's and go speaker out on one pc to line in on the other pc and record it that way, but you shouldn't have to resort to using a second pc.

I have never seen a sound card that can't record the sound coming from the pc itself. I do it all the time to rip things from webvideo and drm'd wma files. You just need a program like Soundforge or Cool Edit and set the recording input on the soundcard to either wav or "what you hear" and then click record before you start playing the audio source. Alternatively if a soundcard doesn't have that option(must be a shit card if it doesn't) you just need two pc's and go speaker out on one pc to line in on the other pc and record it that way, but you shouldn't have to resort to using a second pc.

I know, but many many laptops have HD sound cards and are probably are advertises as having 'HD sound'. First, HD sound doesn't exist as a standard. Second, what this actually means is it's harder to use them to rip stuff in real time because the drivers they use in windows makes the input and output appear as two separate devices.

It pisses me off.

He tries to burn with the Burn function on windows media player. Thank you for the suggestions except moonlit you seemed to more or less want to punish me for the no google comment. I am not blind i can read in google and when i did search i was given all sites with people asking how to burn cd's on vista and microsoft help sites, none of these helped me. I was asking if any of you had this problem and had solved it as i am finding it hard to. I meant free asin freeware or a way to disable the copyright which i doubt is possible legally so i did not wish to look into.

These files are NOT full music files and thus your idea for recording is null, there are only small portions of these songs in the actual files, as i said these are files from a DJ and are mixed. if i didnt mention the mixed part i apologise. I assume Vista searches to-be-burned files for specific parts of songs that are protected to prevent the burning of them, rather than the whole song which can easily be beaten by cutting out parts.

I assume Vista searches to-be-burned files for specific parts of songs that are protected to prevent the burning of them, rather than the whole song which can easily be beaten by cutting out parts.

It's DRM isn't that bad (yet), some thing else is going on.

What file type are they?

How did you acquire them?

Have you tried using other disk burning software?

You could try CDBurnerXP http://cdburnerxp.se/ (also runs on Vista and is freeware). I never use Media Players built in functions to burn music files. If they are in wma format, then you won't be able to burn them as audio cds unless the burning software has a WMA plugin, like Nero has. BUT if they are DRM'd, then Windows Media Player is probably the only way to burn them short of recording the audio to a different format, which is why I was saying play it in window smedia player, but use the sound card to record the playing audio to a seperate file, like a wav file, that can be burned to a cd with any cd burning software.

What format are these audio files in?