Hello!

ACCIDENT

i want to do anything i can learn lol. you guys knoq anything about the man in the middel attack?

• 1. Learn. Wikipedia has just about everything and what it doesn't, google has. The more you learn on your own, the more you will be able to figure out by yourself, and the better questions you can ask.

2. Make specific questions. "Do you know anything about Man-in-the-Middle attacks?" is an incredibly broad question. A better question might be: "What tool can I use to perform MITM attacks on [HTTP/SSH/SSL/FTP]?"

3. Write Well. Proof read all your forum posts. It will make you a better writer and in-turn make you more respected in the communities that you interact with.

4. Listen. Hang out in forums, chat rooms, and different community spaces. You can learn a lot by just listening to how other people talk and type in the community you wish to be a part of.

5. Observe. You are a new comer, have respect for people who have been around a while and watch how people react to things they say and how they say them. Look for how people respond to posts or messages and if you like the response of the community, emulate it. For example, if someone posts an in-depth question, and then someone else replies to it with tons of information, figure out what about the question was enough to spark that type of response.

6. Be patient. There is rarely a quick or easy answer to any problem with a computer or the internet. Experience will come with time and work. This and other communities are a wealth of knowledge that can be tapped at will, if you follow the previously stated "rules".

7. Have fun. This is the last, but most important rule. 98% of the people on this forum are not here because they have to, they are here because they love what they do, and have a passion for learning. These "rules" are not to discourage you from posting or from contributing, rather to give you the tools that will set you on the path to being able to learn and communicate within this and every other online community.

WOW thanks mubix thats answers almost all my questions.

1. I have no idea what MITM is so wondering, if someone could tell me what it is. I saw it on the hak.5 video. It was at the end so i dont really know what it is. That is the reason i came to this site . You guys are really helpful and funny.

2. i have a laptop that is running xp but ment for 2000 and it is CRAZY slow. i was wondering what i could do to fix it. if you want the names for the parts in it tell me and i will write it down. i have my old computer and that laptop so if i get them working, i can practise how to do thinks on them.

thanks that was a huge help.

10 thumbs up for Mubix! :D

2. i have a laptop that is running xp but ment for 2000 and it is CRAZY slow. i was wondering what i could do to fix it. if you want the names for the parts in it tell me and i will write it down. i have my old computer and that laptop so if i get them working, i can practise how to do thinks on them.

I have a Laptop with a "Designed For Windows 98" sticker on the front, only has a 366mhz chip with 192mb ram. Whilst it is slow as fuck for anything fun i can still use it to run firefox, winamp or remote desktop. So if you have a laptop that is designed for Windows 2K, it should be able to run XP no problem. Its probally slow because its not been looked after (you will learn that XP requires more house keeping than *nix or a mac).

So what you could try is just backing up the data you want to another computer/optical media, formatting the disk, and reinstalling Windows XP. This should give it a new lease on life. As long as nothing is physically wrong with the laptop (its kinda hard to get parts for laptops) it will work fine for hacking around with. You could try 2000 but XP with all the eye candy turned off is just as fast IMHO.

In total, the above will probally take you a few hours at most.

As for man in the middle attacks, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_middle_attack

In laymans terms, a MITM attack works like this.

You are on the same network as a mates computer. He's talking on MSN about a party your not invited to and you want to find out about it. So what you do with cain and able is tell the router that your computer is your mates computer, and tell your mates computer that your the router.

This means that the traffic (his msn conversation) is being sent to your computer, and then passed on to the router. So his conversation is now coming threw your computer. So what you do is run a packet sniffer (a program that captures the network/internet traffic on your computer), this lets you see the traffic going threw your computer, and with a bit of filtering you can then read the messages without anyone knowing you are.

Of course there is a lot more to it than that, and its worth watching the segment over and over, pausing at the releavant screen shots. Just copy it exactly and you will get it after a few attempts.

You just need 2 computers, cain & able, a program called ethereal, and a router with an internet connection.

WOW thanks mubix thats answers almost all my questions.

1. I have no idea what MITM is so wondering, if someone could tell me what it is. I saw it on the hak.5 video. It was at the end so i dont really know what it is. That is the reason i came to this site . You guys are really helpful and funny.

Check out episodes 3 and 4 (I think those are the right ones) Harrison did a great segment on ARP and MITM (Man in the Middle)

Without being able to properly troubleshoot I would say try turning off some things that are not needed, like all the pretty GUI junk. Make sure you don't have a lot of crap loading at startup, check to see what is running in the background and shut off the things you don't need. If you can, max out the RAM in that bugger. I was able to run XP on two different IBM Thinkpads (a 266 PII and a 333 PII) by turning off the things I didn't need and maxing out the RAM.

thanks that was a huge help.

10 thumbs up for Mubix! :D

All hail Mubix, King of Mongo (Flashhhhhhh AHHHHHHHHH!)

what i did to (i guess you could call it) hack my school. i went to my library and said that the comp. were acting wierd so i got to go in the computer lab. from there i was all alone and restarted a pc and went into the bios. from there i set it to boot off the cd drive. i used the BackTrack live cd and ran nmap neusses and... well the rest use your imagination.

P.S. for the flaming posts for this message please keep them under two paragraphs; please.

Ok thanks for that , i think i might reformat not to sure.

On my schools computers there is no lock on the C drive and there is command prompt too. the only thing is you cant delete stuff . So i guess that a problem.

ok bye