Slow Internet on Laptop

Typhon66

I recently bought a laptop after graduating from high school in preperation for college. And i am having some trouble with it.

On the PC that i am currently on, everything runs perfectly fine. On this new laptop however. My internet runs VERY slow. As in, slower than dialup slow. Sometimes my browser just says that i am not connected to the internet, even though i am, so i have to go back and refresh the page several times untill it loads. I have tried everything i can think of, please help.

Thanks in Advanced.

Are your directly connecter to your router or throught a server on your wired network?

Mostly when I encounter that problem I shut down my explorer.exe and my internet works. If your using firefox you might check your "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests". type in the adressentry: "about:config" and search for it. When its set on 1 set it to 12. When it's set to hight, 50 for example, lower it cause some servers have a "anti-hammer" function;)

If you're lazy you just can download fasterfox which will do it for you.

Hope this will help you.

My computer is directly connected to the router, both are. And now my problem just got worse, with absolutely no changed at all, the laptop doesnt get any internet.

Also, my laptop is running vista if that makes a difference. I heard about how different vista updates caused problems, but i removed those and it worked for a little while and now its doing it again. with NO other updates.

My computer is directly connected to the router, both are. And now my problem just got worse, with absolutely no changed at all, the laptop doesnt get any internet.

And you've installed the correct networkdriver on your laptop?

Maybe you should check your routersettings. You might have limited acces speed to your laptopconnection, otherwise, also check/change your networkcable, it could be damaged.

when you use the command: "ping 192.168.1.1" how many miliseconds respond time does it have?

And you've installed the correct networkdriver on your laptop?

Maybe you should check your routersettings. You might have limited acces speed to your laptopconnection, otherwise, also check/change your networkcable, it could be damaged.

when you use the command: "ping 192.168.1.1" how many miliseconds respond time does it have?

The drivers i believe is the correct one yes, but its not entirely up to date im sure. Of course i cant get online to update them -_-.

As for the router settings im sure that it does not.

The network cable is most definitely not damaged because i tried it on my other PCs and it works perfectly fine.

And the ping command says "time=<1ms"

troubleshooting slow internet problems with people brings back bad and frustrating memories.

here are some questions that came to mind that might help out.

1. you said its a new computer with vista right, how much memory do you have? i ask because of this

2.have you tried direct to the modem?

3.can you access your router and see if anything has changed

4. would you be able to reset the router?

5.try a live cd and see how the browsers do in that situation.

hope this helps.

which security software are you running? some like to filter web traffic and can often cause some slowdown (though not noticeable for normal web use, it can cause some lag and problems with punkbuster when dealing with some games)

if possible are you able to benchmark your connection by running a program like everest then enabling s shared folder on your laptop, have your main desktop pc transfer over a large file and see how fast it goes.

also on your router, are you using any special QOS rules which could be limiting bandwidth to the laptop

(also can you try connecting to your neighbors wireless or any other open one and see if it is still slow? )