My computer is unusually slow

silentknight329

Hey all i just reinstalled my windows xp and everything is INCREDIBLY slow i am talking stupidly slow

my specs for my computer are:

xp service pack 2

cpu:3.20 ghz celeron

Graphics: ATI Radeon x1300 pro 256mb

Ram: 1.5gb

HDD:1-40gb 1-80gb partitioned to 2-40gb totaling 120gb

if you can give me any suggestions that would be great

thanks

ps scrolling down on webpages is nuts it laggs horribly

do you have all of the proper drivers installed, (especially the videocard and motherboard drivers, (generic drivers are slow, and those are what windows will use until you install the official drivers)

also can you post a HJT log so we can see whats running on your pc.

I have had people call me saying that their pc is too slow and no matter how many times they reinstalled, their PC was still slow, and when I had a look at their pc, the problem turned out to be the user reinstalling AOL, kazaa (old spyware filled one from back in the day) weatherbug (program that gives weather updates as a cover to it's spyware) and many other programs

ps windows is extremely slow if the proper videocard drivers are not installed thats why when you uninstall your video card drivers and download newer ones, while windows is using the generic drivers, everything is very slow, scrolling takes like 1 second to take effect and everything is sluggish

HJT, aka hijack this, is a scanner for problems within your computer in simple terms. Google hijack this, install it and run it. it gives an option to scan and save to a log file. Post the .txt file or copy paste into your browser.

You can also terminate all the processes that are running and that you don't use. Just do that and your pc will run a lot faster.

Given that you know what your doing and don't accidentally kill your system/programs.

explorer.exe != iexplore.exe somehow i found that out the hard way..

also on this topic i have 7 svchost.exe and it is annoying as hell dunno if its norton or a bunch of windows xp programs running in background but i lag to hell every time and i dont want to kill off those processes because i know that they are needed, HJT has nothing to say on this matter

Given that you know what your doing and don't accidentally kill your system/programs.

explorer.exe != iexplore.exe somehow i found that out the hard way..

also on this topic i have 7 svchost.exe and it is annoying as hell dunno if its norton or a bunch of windows xp programs running in background but i lag to hell every time and i dont want to kill off those processes because i know that they are needed, HJT has nothing to say on this matter

Yeah, but I often work without my explorer shell. And btw you can easily launch your explorer shell again so that shouldn't be a problem. But the svchost.Exe is a bit more complicated, you should stay off of it cause when you terminate the wrong one you get an system message that your pc wil terminate in one minute (you can try it for fun if you like or don't believe me:p) but the processes of the local user can all be terminated. Just terminate all the procces (exept your firewall/ virus program) and you'll see that your pc will speed up.

Also just do a clean install of your OS should also fix the problem. With my windows distributions I do it all the time, once a month install everything again.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 9:00:27 PM, on 6/11/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe

C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RaidTool] C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [soundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll

O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

that is my log

It's not the pc his fault that he's running windows...

And for silentknight329, just try to eliminate the processes that makes your pc slow down, but stay off the important system processes :P

for me, I cant stand to have more than 12 running processes at startup (windows for me also shouldn't use more than 85MB memory at startup, the less windows uses, the more there is left over to run the applications that you like, benchmark scores also go up )

I was gonna post my HJT log but its abit long so ill keep it at this.

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

there is more than just 3 svc hosts but it dont show up on the log. WTM shows 5 system svchosts, 2 network and 1 local. it is disturbing me alot with that

ok my computer is working fine now... but here is another problem off topic of this post..

i installed vista and when it boots it gives me the option to boot to vista or an earlier version of windows

but my keyboard wont respond it is this keyboard i have it connected via usb and whenevr i get to the boot stage all my usb looses power i dont understand why any suggestions?