Video card not recognizing monitor after I switched CPU cases.

leetninja

I recently switched my motherboard, RAM, and HD to another case. In the case there was already CD drives and a power supply. Now, when I used the computer in the other case, it worked perfectly. When I turn the CPU and monitor on, the monitor just stays in standby. So, I'm guessing that the problem has something to do with the video card (ATI Radeon 9000 64M DDR TVO SN: A024600046903) or the way that I attached the power switch and LEDs to the motherboard, but I have no idea. I have tried multiple old, crappy video cards, so that makes me think that the problem exists in the power and reset button (I hooked them up to what seemed to be the right connectors).

I have included a picture of my motherboard that probably wont help at all. Up in the top right you can see all of the connectors for the power and reset buttons:

118j7o9.jpg

Sounds like either it is loose, or you caused ESD and damaged something. If you ar eusing a MB that has been unplugged for a long time, maybe the BIOS needs to be reset or the battery is bad.

Could be any of the following and more:

Bad power

Bad motherboard

Bad or badly seated graphics card

Bad or badly seated RAM

Bad CMOS settings

Bad CPU

Badly connected drives (trust me, you'd be surprised how often I've had that)

Could be any of the following and more:

Bad power

Bad motherboard

Bad or badly seated graphics card

Bad or badly seated RAM

Bad CMOS settings

Bad CPU

Badly connected drives (trust me, you'd be surprised how often I've had that)

Thank you for all the possible reasons, but what I don't understand is somehow all the hardware worked previous to the case changing. Basically, I had two mediocre computers and one nice case, so I wanted to make one "good" computer. As of now, should I just put everything back where it belongs and troubleshoot from there?

Sounds like either it is loose, or you caused ESD and damaged something. If you ar eusing a MB that has been unplugged for a long time, maybe the BIOS needs to be reset or the battery is bad.

Good point, but the MB was working in the other case that I had it in?

Just checking, when you power on the fans spin, do they spin until you power it off or do they spin for 15-20 seconds then turn off?

I would try resetting CMOS and as you have suggested try reconnecting the power switch to the motherboard, however as the fans are spinning I think the problem is a little more sinister!

does it beep or make noises? if it beep try seating your ram/graphics card properly.

Nope, no beeps.

Just checking, when you power on the fans spin, do they spin until you power it off or do they spin for 15-20 seconds then turn off?

No, the fans just go on.....forever haha. So, I guess I should try reconnecting the power to the MB, then reset the CMOS?

So I zapped my motherboard, Sparda? I just followed the rule "touch something metal to ground yourself."

"touch bare metal that is connected to ground to ground yourself."

I like to leave computers plugged in to the main but switched off either at the wall socket or the PSU. I lso like the fit the PSU first, even if this causes difficulties latter on when fitting the motherboard, and plug it in. This ensures the case is earthd.

"touch bare metal that is connected to ground to ground yourself."

I like to leave computers plugged in to the main but switched off either at the wall socket or the PSU. I lso like the fit the PSU first, even if this causes difficulties latter on when fitting the motherboard, and plug it in. This ensures the case is earthd.

Yeah, I put the PSU in first, however, I didn't have it plugged in. So should I just take the MB battery out, wait, then put it back in, and restart?

The Static is BS IMO many years ago I was the most junior person at an IT Consultancy and on average we where knocking out 10-20 PC's per week, all I did while building them was touch a table leg, I have never overly taken precautions and I belive the "killer" static is a myth brough about by big coperations so that people who don't know what they are doing are scare mongered into paying to have RAM upgrades etc done for them.

Ok your between a rock and hard place my friend. I would be looking at these things

1. Connections between Power Button and motherboard (just double check everything is right)

2. Try another Power Supply

3. Try another processor in that motherboard

4. Try another motherboard

I had a very similar issue with one of our older PC's, fans would just spin, I replaced the motherboard and the problem was still there, so ended up replacing the CPU (at a grand cost of £9/$18 from eBay :D) it was an old pc but I needed a spare box.

i know a guy who fixs tellys and dvds for a living and he said you would need a really big static charge to fry a mobo. even socks on carpet wouldn't do it.

Yeah, it's probally one of those things that "could" happen but 99.9% of the time it won't.

Yeah it does: p but I've still not got around to installing a lightning rod on my house and making it total EMP proof, just because it can kill electronics doesn’t mean it will. Maybe we should drop Myth-busters an email and have them do a show ;)

A static charge can be very very high voltage but very very low current, that's enough to kill a piece of hardware. You don't even know it's happened, and you don't necessarily even know after you've installed and tried to boot the computer. Things can appear to work but then intermittently fail for "no reason". Whether you think it can happen or not, it makes sense to take precautions anyway - better safe than sorry, right?