Hacking: Where to begin

comcipher

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't believe this ancient thread (from 20 May 2006) is still getting attention.

I saw Vivek added his site (http://www.securitytube.net) about five years ago. I would note that he offers a variety of both free and inexpensive online training. There are a lot of excellent training providers out there for professionals, but there are also some very reasonable classes out there too.

So did the results of all this feedback ever make it to the Wiki? When I clicked the supposed link, it sent me to a video of Darren "hacking" Paddington Bear.

• 11 months later...

Hacking is all about practice; there is obviously a lot of knowledge and prep involved, but just like your first girlfriend, don't wait too long before you get your hands on it, or you may lose interest. Sure, learn some programming languages and scripting skills, and grab some beginner's books on hacking, but go right away for it and set yourself a hacking lab within your own box, with a Kali VM as attacker and another VM as target, and explore various types of attacks. If interested in web attacks, looks at the OWASP Top Ten, check Troy Hunt's videos on Pluralsight for the basics of XSS/SQL injections and the like. Use a proxy like Burp Suite to craft some HTTP GETs and POSTs requests. If you prefer Wifi attacks, learn the ropes with Kismet, the aircrack-ng suite, and their automation with Wifite (all on Kali). Try some MiTM with tcpdump and Wireshark. Break some hashes with hashcat and some wordlists for dictionary attacks (rockyou.txt is a good start, and crackstation has a really huge wordlist). Then there are also attacks on Windows with privilege escalation, buffer overflows, DNS poisonning. Try some recon with Nmap, learn to use Nessus and Metasploit. That is only the beginning, but such techniques will give you a glimpse of all you can accomplish and motivate you to dig further.

Ʋς ℐℳ Ʋς ♈,,~~

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is some videos that teaches basic hacking terms how to use Linux Commands (CLI Basics) since you need commands to be able to hack. for Kali Linux or any type of Terminals.

<---------------- (CLI Command Basics)

< ------------ (Basic Hacking Terms 3 Parts to it)

• 4 weeks later...

There's a metric shit-ton worth of videos out there. Made at cons, made by people at home... It's too much to list. Maybe you should rephrase your question to be slightly more specific?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
Bienvenue Newbies,
We are all newbies here. Some are newbies to this forum while others are newbies in life.
Just read everything related to computer security you can get your hands on, take a Linux course, 
and use your best Google-foo! One of my favorites is: http://www.securitytube.net/ 
Edited by §@₪ↁɱ@₪

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15.08.2016 at 9:57 PM, §@₪ↁɱ@₪ said:

Hey Securex, If you are interested in saving money. You might want to check out this site: https://www.packtpub.com.

Many of the books you listed are from Packt Publishing and they have their own site where you can save quite a bit of money purchasing the books directly from them.

Sure. Thanks for this site. It can be useful for the other peoples.

• 1 month later...