Networking between 2 houses

dyna

Ok, so my brother just moved into the house next door. I have a usb wifi adapter that i want to use to make a unidirectional antenna, a computer that i will be using as a server, and a router. My question is, is there a way that i can create a USB unidirectional antenna that connects to the server, then bridge the connection to the LAN NIC, which would output to the router so that i can share the connection?

~dyna

well the distance between the two houses causes the signal between them to be weak. Thats why im making a unidirectional antenna. BUt is it possible at all to bridge USB wifi adapters to ethernet nics?

of course, it would be silly for them not to.

tbh, your probably better getting a WRT54G installing ddWRT and using that instead of having a computer on all the time in your house. Many advantages including:

less power consumption

better signal strength (APs wifi adapters alway seem to be some what stronger then wifi adapters for computers)

better flexability

yeah, i installed dd-wrt and boosted my transmit power, but no luck. I get better signal but not anough distance for the other house. I have another router that i will try to bridge at the other house so that it will repeat, but i have doubts that the signal will even make it that far. I don't want to run cable either.

update,

So i put DD-WRT on both of my routers and boosted the range. i also made a parabolic antenna for them and now i can connect at both houses. I set up a WDS so that the routers can communicate. My issue now is that only the wireless computers will connect to the internet. does the WDS only effect wireless or should i switch to a wireless bridge?