Help With Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

jht129

I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition just to mess around with it. Now I need help setting it up to get on my LAN... My NIC is connected to the router, and this is my first time using this OS so I really don't know what to do. Yes I have searched it, but the directions aren't quite what I would like. Could anyone please help me? Thanks in advance for any help.

I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition just to mess around with it. Now I need help setting it up to get on my LAN... My NIC is connected to the router, and this is my first time using this OS so I really don't know what to do. Yes I have searched it, but the directions aren't quite what I would like. Could anyone please help me? Thanks in advance for any help.

Does windows detect the network card?

Ok, not a lot of relevant information in your question so this will be difficult.

Firstly what do you want to do with this server?

I guess we are to assume that your network is fairly basic, with your client and server running off the router, and the router handing out DHCP, DNS etc, which is fine.

First thing to check is that the server has been assigned an IP by the router, to do this open a command prompt on the server and type ipconfig /all

The command prompt will display a whole host of information; you’ll need to note the IP address. It’s also handy to check what the DHCP server, this (in the above scenario) should be your router IP.

Now you have the server IP trying opening a command prompt on your client and ping the server (type ping 192.168.1.254 – replace this IP address with the one you have just found)

If you can’t ping the server, then we will need more information about your network. One thing to double check is that you have run all the security wizards and welcoming wizards after installing and logging into Windows Server 2K3, I believe the server ships hardened until you run the first windows update (after which it opens up the network / firewall)

the OS did not recognize my NIC but...

Thank you everyone for your help. I have fixed the problem.

My Solution: open device manager, find the hardware id then put those numbers into google. Download the appropriate driver to a flash drive, then plug the drive into the server and have windows update look for a .inf file in the 'WinXP' directory of the driver download. that should work, because it worked for me.

Thanks again.

No, Server 2003 does not support a chunk of newer NIC's by default. But, if you have 5 mins spare, and use the tools on driverpacks.net you can install Server 2003 with full driver support on pretty much any hardware.

Does linux have anything like slipstreaming? I can't see it fitting the linux type release cycle tbh.

Does linux have anything like slipstreaming? I can't see it fitting the linux type release cycle tbh.

To 'slipstream' linux you just include the latest kernel compiled with the drivers you want (Ubuntu has every thing compiled in by default) and include any software you want to include.