Ironman, the movie

digip

Anyone seen it? There is a scene in the movie where they sue what I would say is the equivalent of a USB hacksaw/switchblade to access restricted data from Tony Stark's computer network. I couldn't help but think of Hak.5 after watching that scene, even if there are legit USB authentcation keys out on the market, it would seem that he designed his to hack his own computer systems to retrieve the data he wanted.

This movie contained AI making any cool tech stuff null and void of any realism

Based on a comic, I didn't watch it for reality. Same goes for my favorite, Spider Man.

Apparently the American Army are developing an 'Iron Man' suit that will be in combat by 2010....

This just reminds me of this little gem:

NASA spends billions of pounds to make an ink pen that works in space, the russians used a pencil(*gasp* and what if the american astronauts made a mistake, there isn't a space worthy tipex bottle yet)...

Oh its real. my mom has one that she uses at work not for the space writing of couse but it is a cool looking pen. I think how they finally managed to do it was to make the ink container a vaccume or something like that.

Ironman was the best movies I'v seen in a long time I would recomend it to any one even those who dont like those kinds of movies.

Just got done watching it on my xbox, not a bad movie, the AI is kinda silly, and i like how EVERY movie uses the line

"I need you to hack into the mainframe"

What is this the 1980s?

@webjockey, THAT WAS A GOD DAMN NICE PEN, you commy!

Just got done watching it on my xbox, not a bad movie, the AI is kinda silly, and i like how EVERY movie uses the line

"I need you to hack into the mainframe"

What is this the 1980s?

@webjockey, THAT WAS A GOD DAMN NICE PEN, you commy!

Um, I still do mainframe work in my job as a computer operator, so yeah, they still exist, and widely believe it or not. Most banks, large Government company sites, etc, rely on them. Windows and *nix may be loose on the LAN, but a lot of them point to the big iron for the important stuff.

Apparently the American Army are developing an 'Iron Man' suit that will be in combat by 2010....

This just reminds me of this little gem:

NASA spends billions of pounds to make an ink pen that works in space, the russians used a pencil(*gasp* and what if the american astronauts made a mistake, there isn't a space worthy tipex bottle yet)...

Using a pencil in space is dangerous.

lol, I've seen one of these pens, it about 10CM long and if you put the lid on, it becomes a stylus for your PDA...

Oh, and @SomeoneE1se:

There is no need for a specially crafted pencil sharpener, they work in zero gravity too... (sometimes simplicity is just the better)

I loved the comic book I haven't seen the movie yet but I hope Tony become a drunk Alcoholic. and the pen that writes in space maybe you've heard of the company that makes them its called bic and you can now get them for $.99

Oh and thats $1,000,000 in 1950's dollars you need to adjust for inflation :)

Normal Biros (and believe it or not, the almighty Bic) require gravity to allow the ink to touch the roller ball so that ink can reach paper (mainly due to the open end of the ink 'cartridge')... the special 'Space' pens work in space because the ink is in a vaccuum sealed container filled to the brim with ink, that way, when any ink comes out at first use, the pressure inside the cannister increases forcing more ink out, keeping the chain intact whereas in your average Bic, the pressure is the same all the time because there is no sealed cap on the end of the ink holding mechanism itself, meaning pressure around the ink and atmospheric pressure are the same... (I feel I am repeating myself somewhat in this argument so I will stop now).

@TheZ: The Pencil shavings would not really incenerate in our atmosphere, they wouldn't even get there, they would float around with all the other space crap (disused satellites that didnt make reentry etc. etc.).

@Someone E1se: I am sure Walmart have those nifty little pencil sharpeners that have a plastic casing to store all the pencil shavings in. Besides I am sure an Astropen is much harder to look after than a pencil...

• 2 weeks later...

bic pens dont write in space the ink needs to be contained in a vaccume tube or somthing just try writing upside down for two hours and tell me if your pen still works that would be the same situation

Normal Biros (and believe it or not, the almighty Bic) require gravity to allow the ink to touch the roller ball so that ink can reach paper (mainly due to the open end of the ink 'cartridge')... the special 'Space' pens work in space because the ink is in a vaccuum sealed container filled to the brim with ink, that way, when any ink comes out at first use, the pressure inside the cannister increases forcing more ink out, keeping the chain intact whereas in your average Bic, the pressure is the same all the time because there is no sealed cap on the end of the ink holding mechanism itself, meaning pressure around the ink and atmospheric pressure are the same... (I feel I am repeating myself somewhat in this argument so I will stop now).

@TheZ: The Pencil shavings would not really incenerate in our atmosphere, they wouldn't even get there, they would float around with all the other space crap (disused satellites that didnt make reentry etc. etc.).

@Someone E1se: I am sure Walmart have those nifty little pencil sharpeners that have a plastic casing to store all the pencil shavings in. Besides I am sure an Astropen is much harder to look after than a pencil...

I thought I explained in quite alot of detail (I have quoted my post above) how a 'space pen' works in space. Making this post:

bic pens dont write in space the ink needs to be contained in a vaccume tube or somthing just try writing upside down for two hours and tell me if your pen still works that would be the same situation

a bit unnecessary