Bad Sectors

MRGRIM

Hello,

My HDD curled over and died last week, I have managed to somewhat recover by running HDD Regenerator over the weekend.

It's a WD 500GB drive, so far I've only scanned 300GB of it but in this 300GB it's found some 3000 Bad Sectors, does anyone know how many bad sectors is acceptable for a useable drive etc, I can't seem to find any statistics.

A replica drive would cost me £50 ($100)

I would say... Zero. If a drive has any bad sectores, it is more likly to fail.

Yeah but once you've run a scan disk it marks the sectors as bad and won't revisit them. Also drives come with x sectors ear marked for use when bad secotrs occur. (BTW I understand your point)

Yeah ideally 0, as even 1 bad sector in the wrong place can render the drive unreadable.

I recommend getting a copy of Hiren's or the Ultimate Boot CD and running a utility called HDAT2. Choose the mode that scans AND repairs sectors and let it run till it's done. It may take a a few hours or more, so just do it overnight or something.

It's revived two coworkers' laptops so far.

Yeah ideally 0, as even 1 bad sector in the wrong place can render the drive unreadable.

I recommend getting a copy of Hiren's or the Ultimate Boot CD and running a utility called HDAT2. Choose the mode that scans AND repairs sectors and let it run till it's done. It may take a a few hours or more, so just do it overnight or something.

It's revived two coworkers' laptops so far.

I had a copy of the UBCD, but I couldn't find a single scanner that would scan SATA, I settled on HDD Regenerator which seems to be doing the job, I couldn't boot Windows before, however since detecting those 3000 odd bad sectors Windows is once again working.

Would your advise be backup and replace the disk? Sadly its less than a year old, I'm normally a Maxtor man however this WD was cheap and had a 16MB Cache, do WD have a good name in the HDD market?

haha this brings back memories, lol i had a hard drive and it started failing on me so i went ahead and reformated the darn thing and used it as part of my EXT. Hard drive kit...after saving some 50GB's of programming lessons, tutorials, WORK!!!!, programs ive made my self... the stupid thing died and i lost everything.. (died as in lol when you plug it in through the usb lol the comp would freeze or not detect anything at all, and when i plugged it vie IDE, lol the bios read the drive like "LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL _ LL" haha i was so pissed