Broken SP3 install

nicatronTg

Yah, this sucks.

Today I tried to install Windows XP SP3, and failed. It went fine, then hung at "Cleaning up files". Great. It forced me to reboot, so I did. Once the reboot was complete, I was greeted by a message telling me that it had an incomplete update, and it was restoring the system's pervoius state.

After that boot, I was presented with another window telling me that it had completed step one of the removal process, and was about to finish step two. When I hit ok, it died. The system rebooted, and now I'm stuck with tons of error messages, and worst of all, no usable laptop. I'm writing this from mo old 128MB of ram computer, so I ask:

HOW DO I FIX A BROKEN SP3 INSTALL?

I wish I could, but I scratched my XP install CD up, and it will not run...

In a world where you can't find disk images of your version of XP. You, are, fucked.

I recommend making copies of stuff you paid for in future.

In a world where you can't find disk images of your version of XP. You, are, fucked.

I recommend making copies of stuff you paid for in future.

I do have disk images, consequently, they are on the dead box. I can't find my Live CD, so is there another option?

I do have disk images, consequently, they are on the dead box. I can't find my Live CD, so is there another option?

If I were in the possition of having one computer which had a dead OS on it and that was it's only OS and I had no way of booting it except if I could get a disk image off the drive and burn that image I could fix it... i'd first feel prety dumb for leaving the backup of the installer on the computer the installer is for, then take it to the University I frequent, convince the tech people to either: let me borrow a external CD drive or convince them to let me plug the drive with the dead OS in to one of thire computers.

You need a computer you can plug the drive in to or connect another drive the to dead computer and boot the live Ubuntu on it so you can burn the disk image.

Is there any menu options when booting, or can you use F8 to get to safe mode? Need to find a way to get to a previous restore point, or, load a live disc, recover any lost data to another pc/drive, and then wipe it out and start over. If you cant get to safe mode, or a recovery partition, short of reinstalling there isnt much you can do other than try a live disc and copy off your important stuff. If you have another XP install somewhere you can try removing the HDD that is having problems and putting it in the other machine as a slave and copy all the files off (including your disc image of XP) and then put it back in the old machine and reistnall windows.

SP3 might make it impossible to go back to previous restore points. I remember there being issues with IE7 making this a problem, but restore points created AFTER IE7 would work, just none before IE7 was installed, so this may be a simialr problem. One of the updates might have made a restore impossible, which means a reinstall is probably your only way to use that pc again(after you backup the files to another pc/HDD, etc)

I can't add anything helpful.

But just to warn ppl, i have installed sp3 4 times (so far) on 3 different computers.

1 failed but caused no major problems and installed fine the next time i visited windows update.

1 seamed to suceed but now windows encounters a 'serious error' twice after every boot (other then the error messages their doesn't seem to be any problem)

2 installed fine with no issues at all

that makes a 50% success rate so far..... and i cant acctually figure out what changes (if any) sp3 has made.

I can't add anything helpful.

But just to warn ppl, i have installed sp3 4 times (so far) on 3 different computers.

1 failed but caused no major problems and installed fine the next time i visited windows update.

1 seamed to suceed but now windows encounters a 'serious error' twice after every boot (other then the error messages their doesn't seem to be any problem)

2 installed fine with no issues at all

that makes a 50% success rate so far..... and i cant acctually figure out what changes (if any) sp3 has made.

none it's just a hotfix integration patch