Visual Studio 2008 question

ok well i have Visual Studio 2008, and everytime i compile/build a program i have a small.. issue. the (exe) works well in computers that have .net framework installed..but in others (computer who don't have .net framework) it displays an error saying you need to install .net frame work 2.0 blah blah.... well ive read that in visual studio 2008 you can compile it with the necessary files.. meaning the .exe would run stand alone with no support... does any one know how to do this?

language is Visual Basic btw

VB programs compiled using VB work as long as you have the vb DLL files associated with the program. Programs created on the .net platform and compiled using the .net platform, need the .net platform to run UNLESS you can create stand alone resource files to install with the program.

VB6 had a deployment wizard that would make it so that when you created an installer for the program, it put all the required dll files in with the installer. I havent used .net much, so not sure if they have that option, but I wwould think that there is a way around it somehow.

With older VB programs, you just needed the associated VB runtime library's in either the windows system/system32 folder or the programs compiled folder location. With .net, I am not sure how you get around this short of including the .net installer with the program. I would think that in order to get around it someone would have to compile a dll for the exe file to run as well, as where with older VB, the dll files already existed that you ran against and could just include them with your installer.

Sort of off topic, but if they can get it to run on Linux without .net, then there should be a way to do this on windows as well: http://www.linux.com/articles/53582

I guess what ever the application is "using" could be packaged in the directory that the program resides. EX:

using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.IO;
//etc

Just copy the dlls, and put them in the local directory. The example was in c#, but you get the idea.

yep lol, i used a program called thinstall and used it on my app AND installed .net.. but the exe file came out to be like 400MB and it worked only half of the time lol, maybe its a small step towards an answer?, man i swear threre really has to be something for this lol i also heard that if you write code in C++ and compile it, then you wont need .net, can any one confirm?

i also heard that if you write code in C++ and compile it, then you wont need .net, can any one confirm?

Anything written in C++ can be compiled with a C compiler, so it would not need .net unless your calling something from a .net library or resource somehow.

im not using VB6 im using VS2008, the newest thing thats out (as far as i know) and like i said theres a way around it because the program xenocode actaully re-compiles ( i think) so it would have . net within the program, making it a stand alone.. thinstall did it too but it didn't work right lol

im not using VB6 im using VS2008, the newest thing thats out (as far as i know) and like i said theres a way around it because the program xenocode actaully re-compiles ( i think) so it would have . net within the program, making it a stand alone.. thinstall did it too but it didn't work right lol

Visual Studio 2008 uses the .NET framework, and they will need .NET framework to run them unless the resources are coded into the app or installed with the deployment package. VB6 was by far much easier to deploy and most apps worked on XP without having to worry about installing any runtime files unless you used older resources in the app, like a Rich Text Box vs the normal text box control.

• 5 weeks later...

Well you didn't specify what your are coding in, if its VB you should change to something more powerful! like C++ for example! MASM32 also excellent choice :) I strongly hate VB with a passion, its some str8 up script kiddie shit! learn a real language and stop messing around... VB can't create more than a fancy GUI which does practically nothing... so if thats what intrigues you learn Win32 API and draw your windows with code, RegisterClassEx, CreateWindowEx, its easier than it seems at first, and you'll enjoy making GUI applications much more when you understand the little details behind it...

Well I write my C++ programs with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

And yes on my old computer any program I made with 2008 would not run!

I solved the problem by installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package! available for download directly from Microsoft

link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Well you didn't specify what your are coding in, if its VB you should change to something more powerful! like C++ for example! MASM32 also excellent choice :) I strongly hate VB with a passion, its some str8 up script kiddie shit! learn a real language and stop messing around... VB can't create more than a fancy GUI which does practically nothing... so if thats what intrigues you learn Win32 API and draw your windows with code, RegisterClassEx, CreateWindowEx, its easier than it seems at first, and you'll enjoy making GUI applications much more when you understand the little details behind it...

Well I write my C++ programs with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

And yes on my old computer any program I made with 2008 would not run!

I solved the problem by installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package! available for download directly from Microsoft

link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Are you high or just retarded, lol

I've been coding since the 80's and have learned nearly every language under the sun and although I do mainly code in Python, C/C++ and ASM and don't really like VB as it has alway teached bad practices "VB can't create more than a fancy GUI which does practically nothing..." is just a load of shit, you can code lot's of useful things in VB, hell you could create a whole MS Office rip off in it, your not going to be coding an OS in it anytime soon but if your witting an app for Windows it can be done in VB.