vista/xp

I prefer XP, only because the system requirements are lower. Though, I use Vista since its the Microsoft Standard.

There really isn't much wrong with Vista. User Account Control can be disabled, as can many of the other annoying features that come with it. Nearly everything I have can be fixed by running in compatibility mode. I havn't had any problems with running Vista. But maybe im just a lucky one.

Vista is my desktop OS, it's absolutely fine and I've not had any showstopping issues with it. It is a tad heavy though, so for older or lower powered systems I'm still happy with XP.

Vista. My specs are fine to run it (vista score maxed out at 5.9), and as mentioned it is what comes on new PC's and if im to work on new gear, gotta know the ins n outs of vista. Im currently running Vista on 2 machines, XP on 1 laptop, and other OS's on 4 other servers / stations.

XP is good, but if u can handle vista, then theres no point not to run it.

I use Vista on my Desktop PC, with User Account Control off (its just a pain). I like it, it has a nice debugging system for any errors you might encounter (instead of 'Send Error Report', it checks for solutions online and presents them to you.). But, I don't trust the Vista Rating System though: Earlier my system was a perfect 5.9, but after the installation of new video drivers, its not 5.7 (and the RAMs the problem  :-P ).

only use vista when providing support for a vista user, other than that i use windows xp as it is much faster and more responsive

That is true, and I am probably going to kick myself in a years time for saying this, but, my computer runs it VERY fast now...

I prefer windows XP, I run faster, works smoother, lots of older and newer hardware and software works on it the better. Plus, it is simple and to the point operating system.

Vista has its perks, but I think it misses on 2 points of hardware and some software support. But it does looks so pretty.....

XP ftw. Srsly what does Vista offer rly? lol

(I pwn the board, I can get away with a response like the above)

maybe... but not that picture, you gotta change that one dude.

yeah i agree unless you make it an animated gif of the cannon shooting of yer face :lol: ;)

I Prefer XP, but being a geek I upgraded to Vista to see all the hoopla. The First Thing I did was disable UAC (I dont want to be prompted every second for permission to change the clock :) ).

I still use my Mac more that my PC anyway.

still running both (as soon as i get a hdd to backup the vista machine its getting xp): vista basic, win xp x64 pro (wich is actually based on server 2003), +ubuntu 64bit

and currently i feel xp x64 gives me best of both worlds.

vista is the biggest junk i've worked with since winME , and seeing that overall the only + to vista seems to be dx10 , and the basic is lacking it (as far as i understand) so there's no reason for me to keep it....

I don't think Basic lacks DirectX10. It lacks Vista Aero, but seeing as Vista Basic is essentially the same OS as all the other versions, I bet you can just go download and install it on your system anyway... (It may not have it inbuilt, maybe because Vista Aero and the spanky 'Switch Between Windows' thing is what uses it in the OS)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the best OS is dependent upon the hardware if your hardware will run vista then vista if your machines not fast enough then run XP pro my desktop runs XP and my lappy runs vista when I get new desktop it'll run vista unless something newer comes out as I don't think I'll be getting new machine anytime soon :)

At home I'm using Windows XP SP2 x86, however at some point I want to upgrade to 6 or 8GB of RAM so I will need to switch to Vista x64 or 2008 x64.

At work I use a combination of Server 2008 and Windows XP SP3. Server 2008 has some nice features like being able to change the GUID of a machine using RIS in the AD tree, but unlike XP i cannot use the Exchange or Live Communications Server AD snap-ins. So I use XP SP3 for things like account creation or fiddling with exchange.

But, given that 2008 cannot burn CD's or authenticate with our print servers I will probally move my main work desktop machine to Vista at some point.

As for *nix stuff, my laptop has ubuntu on it and I mostly use freeBSD for servers/application boxes as I cannot be fucked with the endless fuck around that linux is.