Linux Passwords [Fedora]

sablefoxx

Okay so my school has a large computer lab, all the computers are running XP, and are secured with Deep Freeze.  However i just found a computer that has Fedora 5 (but default boots to XP) installed on it  :P .  Not sure who installed it or how long its been on the computer.  The problem is i do not know the login for the linux account.  I can boot from any device i please, is there any sort of linux live CD that will let me overwrite the password file to do my bidding?  Giving me access the the fedora OS?  Doing this in windows is easy but i am not aware of any program/Live CD that is able to overwrite the file in linux (and im pretty extracting and cracking the hashes would take a LOT longer).

Any other ideas as to obtain access to the fedora account?

Wasn't there a flaw in that version of Fedora (or just the kernel on older linux distros) where you can boot, then switch session to a new command prompt and exploit telnet to login as root without any password? I recall something to that effect, but don't remember the string to do it.

Maybe sift through google: http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl...amp;btnG=Search

Also, your at school? Why not just ask for permission to use the machine instead of potentially getting in trouble and banned form the lab..

hmm, getting into someone elses computer is wrong.

you might want to google some random phrases, as penance

phrases like

'booting linux into single user mode'

'john the ripper'

lmao

(I know one word post are annoying and not helpful, but that was too funny not to.)

• 1 month later...
ha ha ha it is like impossible to get banned from my computerlab.. none of my teachers know anything about computers... we play cs:cz on them all the time.. it is deadly.

Good reason to screw with computers that aren't yours? I think not.

ha ha ha it is like impossible to get banned from my computerlab.. none of my teachers know anything about computers... we play cs:cz on them all the time.. it is deadly.

Ewwl CZ... why not just CS 1.6 or CSS?

haha i hope you dont think that its only your school every school in Australia is like that. I wishwas still at school playing metal of honor during maths <3 those days