Favorite laptop brand

HP no particular reason apart from the fact that its sturdy , cheap and as far as i kno doesnt give probs with linux , at least not the distro's i tryed ....

my first lappy and apart from the fact it came with vista , verry happy bout it .

my lappy :

HP 530 - Core Duo T2400 / 1.83 GHz - Centrino Duo

RAM 1 GB

HDD 80 GB Serial ATA-150 - 5400 tpm

DVD±RW (+R duallayer) / DVD-RAM

GMA 950 (wtf is is ?)

WLAN : 802.11a/b/g

Vista Home Basic

15.4" widescreen TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) BrightView

back then one of the cheapest decent ones i could get (€599.99)

For me the macbook pro, i have had a couple of compaq's in the past and they have not come close so far...... ie battery life, reliability etc

Even better since I have installed parallels on the lappy to test other os's

I recently ordered the Asus EEE PC (900), its gonna be arriving soon, I will tell you then what my opinion on that one is when I get it (in a week or two when stock arrives). First thing I am going to do when I get it is switch the OS on the SSD with the Ubuntu distro for EEE PCs (called EEEXubuntu).

Using an Eee is impratical, IMHO. I've spent the last week researching portable laptops that are still usable. There's basically 3 laptops in the category for me.

12" WXGA screen (1280x800) resolution

1.7GHZ processor

2GB RAM

120GB hard drive

WIFI, BLUETOOTH

Most laptops of this size are going to have shared video memory so you want th 2GB of RAM since the video will be taking a good chunk of it.

Resolution of the Eee not usable for web surfing. I see 1024x768 a minimum nowadays.

1. Sager 7260

2. HP tx2000z

3. Asus U2e

For the money I found the Sager to be the best deal and the only one you could buy without an OS. With the bells and whistles it's around $750 - $780 (discountlaptops.com has the best price). The downside to the HP besides the price is the Wacom doesn't work in Linux, yet. The Asus is pricey at over $1000

My apologies, the resolution is 1024x600, not 1280x600. And I got my EEE from Clove.co.uk . But, Asus are releasing the new Asus 901 and have put the 900s orders on hold (indefinitely it seems) so I might be one of very few to actually get one.

My apologies, the resolution is 1024x600, not 1280x600. And I got my EEE from Clove.co.uk . But, Asus are releasing the new Asus 901 and have put the 900s orders on hold (indefinitely it seems) so I might be one of very few to actually get one.

My mistake, I just got it wrong too lol. Still, you make a good point about the 901s, I'd say if anyone's waiting for an eee, waiting might be a good idea. That is, wait for Asus to release the Atom-powered models, wait for the competition to heat up (Dell's offering, HP MiniNote, the MSI Wind, etc). TheRegister has suggested that prices will be dropping on the older models of the eee soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

My mistake, I just got it wrong too lol. Still, you make a good point about the 901s, I'd say if anyone's waiting for an eee, waiting might be a good idea. That is, wait for Asus to release the Atom-powered models, wait for the competition to heat up (Dell's offering, HP MiniNote, the MSI Wind, etc). TheRegister has suggested that prices will be dropping on the older models of the eee soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

Thanks for the advice of waiting, almost bought one last week, but it was with a qwerty keyboard :(