just som quick Questions

DeGrijze

How many of you Hak5 supporters are only running Windows OS?

How many of you Hak5 supporters are only running  a GNU/Linux OS?

How many of you Hak5 supporters are wannabe hackers?

How many of you Hak5 supporters are hackers?

Gerard

I've run nearly all operating systems on a range of hardware over the years but I only use OpenBSD, Ubuntu, Solaris and OS X daily. I'd call myself a hacker I guess, although I don't think I've ever referred to myself as one, I like engineer/coder more. 

I run Windows day to day but I'll try anything once, I'm open to any OS of past, present of future.

I'm not a wannabe hacker and I'm not qualified to call myself a hacker. Woz was a hacker, I'm no Woz.

I run Windows day to day but I'll try anything once, I'm open to any OS of past, present of future.

I'm not a wannabe hacker and I'm not qualified to call myself a hacker. Woz was a hacker, I'm no Woz.

1st Define hacker and what qualifies as a hacker

2nd You are a lot closer to THE WOZ than I ever will be. :) thats part of my enjoyment in hak5 ist that there are alot of people that are a lot closer than I ever will be and I'm always learning something :)

So I guess that make me a wannabe hacker however I know I'll never be THE WOZ or Keven :(

However I do not desire to be skiddy. :P

I run windows on my laptop and ubuntu on my desktop

I like to htink of my self as a Hacker in training I'm learning fast but it all moves so fast

I like that "hacker in training"

my desktop is down for the count was running XP pro

My lappy is doul boot vista and debian latest version

Windows Daily, Ubuntu Daily.

Wouldn't call myself either of them. Since most people think of different thing when they think of hacker (Some think of programmer, others of people who maliciously destroy things, people who take apart and put back together things, a scriptkiddie, or a combination of any one of those) you probably won't get a standard answer, since it means differently to everyone then people will describe themselves by what they think is a Hacker. . . If that made sense.

Windows XP, Backtrack 3

and i am slowly getting into the hacking thing... as a joke stole friends hotmail pass... i got a big punch for that one lol

I don't think that "stealing" a hotmail password is hacking :-)...

Also, why would you want to steal a HOTMAIL pass? I don't find it verry funny, messing with other there "private" stuff.

Windows XP, Backtrack 3

and i am slowly getting into the hacking thing... as a joke stole friends hotmail pass... i got a big punch for that one lol

...and one can only hope it taught you a lesson - don't be a dick.

How many of you Hak5 supporters are only running Windows OS? How many of you Hak5 supporters are only running  a GNU/Linux OS?

Currently I'm running XP, XP64Pro, and Server 2003 with a little OpenSolaris, Ubuntu and other Linux flavors from time to time just to get more familiar with *nix systems. Problem is, I forget everything I learned in any *nix OS's because I rarely touch them, and what I learn on one system doesn't always seem to be universal on the others (minus the normal terminal/bash commands). Fact is I just haven't been forced to use it in the work place yet, so I haven't really dedicated myself to learning them.

How many of you Hak5 supporters are wannabe hackers? | How many of you Hak5 supporters are hackers?

Aren't we all to some extent? I mean, we are all watching a show called Hak5, so what is the point if your not somewhat of a hacker wannabe, tech, geek, etc. Hacker isn't a bad thing, just depends on what side of the fence your playing on and how you use your skills. Black, Grey, White, doesn't really matter. I'd say the most basic fundamental of wanting to learn computer related things and how they work is the mind set of a hacker. Even someone interested in tinkering with things in general, like electronics, mechanics, etc.

An exceptionally skilled person who works and messes with computers.

Years ago the US embassy accused me with exactly the same, when they refused to give me a visum to the states 8-)

Gerard

Windows XP, Backtrack 3

...and one can only hope it taught you a lesson - don't be a dick.

well... defiantly taught me a lesson... but he was happy that i didnt actually go into his account and read his emails... i'm not that cruel...

I run Windows primarily for editing and gaming at home so I tend to do the other little stuff on that OS as well for convenience. I administrate several Windows servers for work and play with BackTrack and Ubuntu for fun. Every now and then I'll hop on one of Matt or Paul's Apple laptops but aside from that I don't own my own mac.

I guess you could call me a hacker but really I'm just a geek that tinkers with computers and stuff. More recently been tinkering with cameras and the like.

So in short: Mainly Windows with some Linux. I'm not a hacker but I play one on TV.

I'm not a hacker but I play one on TV.

:lol: