Where can I learn C#?

Phredsir

• 2 months later...

Pro C# 2008 and the .NET Platform is an awesome book ( http://www.amazon.com/2008-NET-Platform-Fo...5801&sr=1-1 )

If you really want to dive into C# and understand it inside out, while learning your way around the XNA framework, I would highly recommend the C#/XNA dvds from 3DBuzz.com ( http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/home.php?cat=13 ) This is actually how I learned C#, and the XNA stuff is just an added bonus. The videos are *very* thorough, and there are "Knowledge Reviews" along the way to help you test yourself on the information that has been presented.

Only learn C# if you want to have your standards decided by Microsoft.

LOL! true. The sad thing is that .NET is getting very big, especially in the business world. It's easy to learn, development time is less, and most places use Microsoft workstations.

I'll love C++/Java/<insert other cross platform languages here> till i die. but it comes down to what potential employers want. If they're environment is already .NET, you'll either adapt and learn it, or choose not to work there :P

Phredsir: There are lots of online tutorials and lessons for C#/VB.Net/etc. I would try those before you shell out 50-60 bucks for a Learn <Programming Language> in 24hrs book.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Pro C# 2008 and the .NET Platform is an awesome book ( http://www.amazon.com/2008-NET-Platform-Fo...5801&sr=1-1 )

If you really want to dive into C# and understand it inside out, while learning your way around the XNA framework, I would highly recommend the C#/XNA dvds from 3DBuzz.com ( http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/home.php?cat=13 ) This is actually how I learned C#, and the XNA stuff is just an added bonus. The videos are *very* thorough, and there are "Knowledge Reviews" along the way to help you test yourself on the information that has been presented.

dude, i love that book. i have that and the previous edition. I second the recommendation. Note though that it's a HUGE book. I used that book to get a lifting start on programming for the .NET framework. (Guys, however you slice it, C# and VB.NET all just compile to MSIL anyway)

From there, branch out into other books (if you're like me, and you have to read alot of material before you *get it*) .. for ASP.NET i got ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed and when I dove into XNA i got Microsoft XNA Unleashed and Professional XNA Game Programming.

From there, it's been using the MSDN forums and google to dig up more topics on how to do this or that. Get really familiar with using MSDN online because it's your bestest friend ever when you want to figure something out.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think of using Visual C# 2008 Express edition for writing the codes. I was looking at some of the online tutorials, and they dont tell you what to use to compile the codes.

On MS website i saw that the Express editions were free.

Are there light weight compilers that I could use to write my first "Hello World!" program in C#?

Express editions contain the usual Microsoft friendly compiler but the IDE is stripped of some features.

What do you guys think of using Visual C# 2008 Express edition for writing the codes. I was looking at some of the online tutorials, and they dont tell you what to use to compile the codes.

On MS website i saw that the Express editions were free.

Are there light weight compilers that I could use to write my first "Hello World!" program in C#?

Visual C# '08 Express comes with a built in compiler/debugger but if you want to right code all on your own (without VC# making it look pretty, dragging and dropping stuff, and not having to right too much code in the first place) then find a C# compiler here. Code is written in ASCII encoding which means Notepad.exe works fine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the c# languages and the .net library, but I do not like the coupling the MS platform. However with the MONO project you can use C# to write cross platformed code. The previously mentioned n00b vids are prolly your best options. When I first started off I used these and I have to say they did expedite the learning process.

And if you don't have big $$$ the express editons work just fine. They everything you really need to work with c#

Best of luck

• 1 month later...

3 top books for ANY .NET professional:

MS-Press: programming ASP.NET 3.5

Manning: Linq in action by Jim Wooley

Apress: Accelerated Silverlight 2

Those 3 books NEVER leave my desk :-D

• 2 months later...

Personally, my advise, if you are starting programming for the first time,Thompson Netg C# 1.0 training and it was the best example of syntax and explanations I've seen over anything else I've read. I've read probably 20 books and every free video online imaginable and it wasn't really till that course that I started understand more advanced topics of C# coming from no programming experience. If you truly want to learn, read every book you can find and look at other peoples code(codeproject.com). Sit down and work through some of the popular names spaces and classes and try to learn as many as possible. Expect to spend a few years practicing and reading to get to a professional level. I will tell you this, the pay is well worth it!

• 2 months later...

Guys just to be shure, as a starter as wel.

So basically the microsoft page is a good place to learn c# (sharp) and make some basic to advanced programs with it using the express program...

And when you got that managed, say after a month or so, what would be a logical step next...

• 4 months later...

Believe it or not the MSDN stuff isn't too bad, it also has some Visual Studio stuff as well if you're not familiar with the IDE, and overviews of the .Net framework if you don't have a clear picture of everything it encompasses.

I also second the 3DBuzz stuff. They have a few free tutorials going round the net and after those I bought their C#/XNA disks just to learn the language. Also got the C++ ones, despite everyone telling me that it's dead (depending on where you work of course).

One thing that did get my nose a bit out of joint was the little note they slipped into the pack saying they've digitally watermarked the disks and if they find your copies on bittorrent they will hunt you down. Sure they're a small company and they have every right to protect their IP, but when I've just dropped a few hundred dollars on their material, I don't need a fuq-you note in the pack presuming I'm a criminal.

People will probably laugh, but I actually didn't mind the Sam's teach-yourself C# in 24hrs book. Sure it's a little light-on, and you'll definitely need more, but as a starting point it is pretty good. If I am remembering the right book, their hello-world program is an image viewer, which gives you a quick taste of just how powerful the language is.

• 3 weeks later...

C# is a great language for some things. C# is highly favored for business applications because of the ease and speed of development. The Microsoft "How Do I" series is good. Also the VTC C# dvds are good. As far as books go, I like Apress Illustrated C# 2008.