What happens to you when a company stops supporting the DRM on their crap

Razor512

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...c-drm-keys.html

Customers who have purchased music from Microsoft's now-defunct MSN Music store are now facing a decision they never anticipated making: commit to which computers (and OS) they want to authorize forever, or give up access to the music they paid for. Why? Because Microsoft has decided that it's done supporting the service and will be turning off the MSN Music license servers by the end of this summer.

...Bennett insists that MSN Music keys are, in fact, not yet expiring. Technically speaking, that's true if I authorize one of my PCs, never get rid of it for the rest of my life, and never upgrade its OS, I will be able to play my tracks forever. But as some of our readers note, this technicality is not rooted in reality the authorizations will now expire when the computer does

basically when you buy drm'ed crap, the content will only last as long as the company, and no company lasts for ever

this mainly goes for anything that is drm'ed externally

while some will say just burn them to cd and rip them again, think about how many cd's you will have to burn and rip if you have $500+ worth of music

it will be a expensive and time consuming and frustrating and monotonous backup process

That's why you NEVER buy anything that requires DRM to play it back if you can't burn, move, share what you bought. I hate to say it, but that's one of the reasons people pirate shit.

That's why you NEVER buy anything that requires DRM to play it back if you can't burn, move, share what you bought. I hate to say it, but that's one of the reasons people pirate shit.

this is completely true , i am willing to pay for my music but if it has problems to play , i won't hesitate to download illegal music 

And that you cant find what you want in stores today. I went to several different music stores yesterday to by the new Cavalera Conspiracy album, and NONE of them had it in stock, as well as the fact that what used to be 10 to 12 rows of cd racks is now consolidated into TWO racks of music and half the floor was empty space with cardboard movie pop ups and advertisements. I couldn't find half of what I listen to in the stores anymore, a shock that makes one wonder, where can you get the music you want these days anyway if the stores wont even carry it anymore? They say downloading killed music sales, but I say crappy music stopped me from going to the store to buy it to begin with, and now that there is an album I actually want to buy, they don't even carry it in stock. F the RIAA!

yep, they complain about piracy and they complain about online stores.

there too stupid to see that if a store was to have as many cd's as itunes had, there would be a pile of cd's going up like 4000 feet

online distribution is much more efficient

and if they look at piracy, you will see that most piracy is not on the popular radio songs. it is in songs that people cant really find in stores.

record companies need to stop expecting to buy a cd based on the cover art. people want to hear all of the songs first, and just a 30 second clip is not enough.

i have herd songs that were extremely good based on the sample, only to find that there either crappy with only a 30 second good part, or a 30 second hook that repeats  making the song suck

i understand trailers and samples for movies because people only watch them once. but music, people listen to over and over. i wont buy a song if i don't first hear the whole thing

This is a very good example. The RIAA has gone to the point that online stores will not let users keep copies, and play them without the DRM crap. If there were a legit online website without DRM, then I would surely favor that over iShit.

the problem is that almost all legit content is overrun by DRM

No it's not.

the ones that don't drm their crap will often be very limited in their content selection

amazon  has drm free music but their song selection is not very large

and no legit drm filled site has  even close to 5% of the music that you will find on a site that pirates music

even if the drm is not too annoying, just having it there is chaining you to the company when when they sink, that stone block chained to you is pulling you down also