Is it possible to mod Casio digitalcamera firmware? 10 min video recording limit

casio10min

Im not a programmer.

Im asking if anyone know an existing modded firmware or something?

So why buy a Casio?

Because it can record moviefiles in h264 (. mov container) 848x480 in resolution.

The only Casio camera that I know that support longer videorecordings that 10 minutes is Casio Exilim EX-S880.

Please be free to namedrop some other Casio models that support h286 longer that 10 min.

If I want to buy another Casio camera model where the videorecordings will NOT stop after 10 minutes.

I dont know witch to buy.

Why not buy Casio Exilim EX-S880?

Becource it gets blurry edges.

you could take 2 videos and combine them using an array of video editing software...

Since it seems like a selling point, it would be silly to limit the camera to 10 minuets a time. There is likely a physical hardware limit that fixing it would make the camera significantly more expensive and there for less marketable.

I'm thinking along the lines of RAM size + processors/storage speed. In either case, if the processor is not fast enough, the RAM will fill up with unprocessed data. If the processed data can't be written to storage faster or the same speed at which data comes in and out of the RAM or processor, the RAM will once again fill up with unprocessed data.

btw, no google involved.

I honestly don't think that you will be able to easily hack the firmware to allow you to record for longer than 10 mins. Out of intrest, is this also the the limit of free space on your memory card?

I honestly don't think that you will be able to easily hack the firmware to allow you to record for longer than 10 mins. Out of intrest, is this also the the limit of free space on your memory card?

but it wud really be easyier if the camera just continued to shot instead i have to see exacly when it stop record then press record again.

I asusme he has more room to record since he has to keep hitting the record button each time it stops.

yeah i presume its also a hardware limitation,

while on phones the camera's usually just limited by firmware, i dont kno why tho....

for example i have a motorola v360 phone wich originally only let me record 20secs of video , i modded some seems of the firmware now it'll record untill i run out of memmorry or the phone crashes (doesnt happen much tho, only if i go over 15-20  minutes, but keep in mind that's an 600% increase)

it is mainly a firmware limit to prevent damage to the ccd.

when it is in record mode, the ccd is being forced to process a much higher res image than the preview window and extended use can damage it or cause hot pixels to form (which are permanent)

other cameras have this limit  in order to sell  a more expensive camera that doesnt have the limit.

most canon cameras have hacked firmware available for them but none of those hacks  allow you to remove the limit, they will generally allow you to change the quality but not the limit.

i recommend you get a device designed to record video. the ccd im a digital cam will not last as long as the one in a camcorder, there just not designed for that duty cycle

I have a Kodak Z1275 that lets me record for as long as I have space and batteries (I have a 4 gig SDHC Card in it, so it holds a LOT of video). And it does HD-video, so not sure what internal hardware they use, but if the thing burns out for any reason, I will not be to happy about that. Especially when it does nicer video than my Panasonic Mini-DVD Camcorder. The only thing I dont like about it is having to convert if from Quicktime to AVI in oder to edit them further in other programs that can't process Quicktime natively.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it works for your camera, but here is something from Canon that is supposed to make hacking a camera possible:

http://lifehacker.com/387380/turn-your-poi...-a-super+camera

I would imagine, that even if it didnt work on your camera, this proves it may be possible to do it on other cameras somehow.