MAC address rotating

Sparda

So, idea some one who knows about IP tables and coding networking applications to mull over. I lack the understanding of IP tables to stand a chance of creating some thing like this.

Situation:

Organization X has a 10Gbps fiber line

Problem:

One mac address is only privy to a small share of the total band width

Solution:

Rotate mac addresses!

Not sure what other applications rotating mac addresses based on a packet stream would have. I think the only tricky bit would be when dealing with TCP connections, probably would have to make it so that what ever device rotated the mac addresses was able to spot a TCP stream and keep the mac address the same for the whole steam. UDP shouldn't matter, every packet can have a new mac address.

I have heard of this type of system before, I know at my brothers University he gets an allotted total bandwidth per day, and after that they switch him over to the super slow bandwidth.  I know the students there found a way around this, I'll have to ask him next time I talk to him.

I doubt this would work, but it is worth a shot.  If you get a multi port switch, you could try and switch from port to port sporadically.  There is a possibility that the load balancer is looking at the port's MAC address instead of the true destination.  If this doesn't work you could try to periodically spoof your mac to a different one.  A program that swapped these addresses periodically would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

are you trying to steal somebody's bandwidth?

I'm not entirely sure on the question here.

you could write some kinda script e.g

ifconfig eth0 down hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:0A

ifconfig eth0 up

sleep 120

ifconfig eth0 down hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:0B

fconfig eth0 up

and so on...

that would quite happily rotate your MAC on a single device. If your wanting to rotate set MACs around the network that'd be a little more complicated and i imagine it'd cause a few problems. I'd bet it'd mess up your ARP and IP addresses.