STOP virgin from destroying the internets !

DLSS

width=600 height=100http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6708/bannerby9.jpg[/img]

guess you all heard about it by now, but in case you havent :

linkage :

Stop Virgin Site

torrentfreak article

stopvirgin site quoted :

The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality is “a load of bollocks” and claimed they're already doing deals to deliver some people’s content faster than others. They would then put websites and services that don't pay Virgin in the "slow lane", meaning those sites would load slowly and cause most users to give up using them, feeling forced to use whatever Virgin wants to push through their network.

This is not the first time an internet provider infringes upon net neutrality, but it is the first time that an ISP so brutally states that they simply plan to limit internet access to a television-like system in which the access provider completely regulates the content you have access to.

Virgin Media has over 3.5 million customers in the UK and the real danger is that when they start applying this system to their network, all major internet providers around the globe will soon follow the trend. Because this is exactly what major ISP's have been wanting to do for years.

But we can stop it.

If the masses of the internet react against this, we will set an example of what happens when one provider tries to take away our freedom. We will make it very clear that any ISP who tries to infringe upon net neutrality will see its popularity go down the drain because the users don't accept it. And we'll see to it that only the providers who care about safeguarding our internet freedom have our support.

Speak out in any way you can and spread the word.

torrent freak article :

The new CEO of Virgin Media is putting his cards on the table early, branding net neutrality “a load of bollocks” and claiming he’s already doing deals to deliver some people’s content faster than others. If you aren’t prepared to cough up the extra cash, he says he’ll put you in the Internet “bus lane”.

Net neutrality really is the hot topic at the moment. Ignited by the Comcast fiasco, the concept of net neutrality has certainly been brought into the mainstream. Most ISPs are never quite forthcoming about their throttling, capping and otherwise interfering behavior, but that crowd certainly doesn’t include the CEO of Virgin Media, the UK’s second largest ISP.

In an interview with the Royal Television Society’s Television magazine, far from covering up their intentions, Virgin Media’s new incoming CEO Neil Berkett - who joined the Virgin Media Board just a few days ago - has launched an attack on the ideas and principles behind net neutrality.

“This net neutrality thing is a load of bollocks,” he said, adding that Virgin is already in the process of doing deals to speed up the traffic of certain media providers.

With around 3.5 million customers in the UK, and already traffic shaping due to lack of capacity, it’s a sobering thought that at the behest of “content providers” with deep pockets, Virgin is prepared to speed up their traffic, which would presumably have a negative impact on those at the bottom of the ISP’s priority list, namely bandwidth hungry file-sharers.

Berkett then turned on the BBC and their iPlayer service, telling them - and other public broadcasters like them - that if they don’t pay a premium to gain faster access to Virgin Media’s customers, their service would be put into “bus lanes”.

It just shows that some ISPs are happy to throttle just about anyone in the name of profit, it’s just that most aren’t as open about it as Mr Berkett.

Thats why I dont pay for a promised 3mbps in my area (according to site when post code is typed in) and you only get about 512kbps.

BT with TOR is the Best (TOR as I am one of the ones who was being secretly monitored by BT).

Thats why I dont pay for a promised 3mbps in my area (according to site when post code is typed in) and you only get about 512kbps.

BT with TOR is the Best (TOR as I am one of the ones who was being secretly monitored by BT).

I pay for a promised 6 Mbps and I get almost 6Mbps, so you really should change from ISP :P

This also does me think of an artikle in the book "überhacker" from Carolyn Meinel. She also mentioned that without the hackers in the past internet wouldn't be free now. So we just need te be against it, one question: HOW? any ideas?

what are you on btw ?

cos i'm paying waay too much @ the moment ...

currently euphonynet 4mbps , 30GB a month €32 a month +€0;50 every extra gig

I pay for a promised 6 Mbps and I get almost 6Mbps, so you really should change from ISP :P

This also does me think of an artikle in the book "überhacker" from Carolyn Meinel. She also mentioned that without the hackers in the past internet wouldn't be free now. So we just need te be against it, one question: HOW? any ideas?

what are you on btw ?

cos i'm paying waay too much @ the moment ...

currently euphonynet 4mbps , 30GB a month €32 a month +€0;50 every extra gig

I'm on Scarlet  http://www.scarlet.be/nl I have Scarlet adsl 6 35€/month (now is an action of 26€/month 12 months long if you register now),  6Mbps, 60 GB a month

I have "Unlimited Bandwidth*".

"*Within Reason - 200GB or Less".

Who says 200GB is reasonable? If I pay for 6Mbps I should be able to download 63.28 GB per day. At that rate I'd have gone over my limit on the 4th day! Who wants to pay for a month of Internet access and get only 4 days of downloading?

TB hard drives are cheap these days and if I want to spend the next 30 days downloading at 6Mbps to fill both these drives I should be allowed to.

/devils advocate

i hate isp's that cap bandwidth

and even worst, ones that throttle

if i pay for a 6 Mbit connection, then i want that 6Mbits on everything i do

would you buy a processor that claimed to be 400GHz  but only runs at 400GHz when using MS word but 1GHz for everything else?

theres an up to but they also guarantee a minimum speed

like with verizon,  they guarantee at least 70% of your promised speed

any less and it is a problem and if they cant fix it, then you can downgrade to a cheaper package where you will get  at least 70% of the speed. or stick with the current one and get ripped off