dvd drive not working;

shadow1100mfp

my dvd burner just stopped working; ive discovered that until windows starts up it has power, but as soon as windows xp starts to boot up power is killed; after i found out it wasn't working i rebooted and it said "drive 5 not found", so im hoping its just a loose cable but the computer hasn't been touched inside since i cleaned it out and that was a year ago.

i really need this i need to burn my music to a cd for lip sync (its tuesday) so id be thankful for any help at all

and if it isn't just a loose cable can anyone reccomend a brand of dvd burner? ive been through 3 total within 5 years (2 of them were stock on the computers i bought), and this one has barely been used

You say it has power on boot but seems to not after windows is up? Does the little light come on during boot-up? If so, you got power. Maybe try uninstalling it form device manager and then do a scan for new hardware.

Still if you need a new one, I like the Lite-on models. Always lasted for me and never had one die yet. I know people with Sony's and the laser went within about a year of use, but that was probably because he burns a ton of shit and got his monies worth.

If your going through this many in such a short amount of time, maybe there is another factor you should look at to prevent this in the future. Are you overburning with the drives? (As in longer than the normal burn size for a given disc, like say just over 700 meg on a 700meg cdr) Overburning can kill a drive if you do it often enough.

i don't think im over burning; and i  dont think im using it too often; at most it gets used to burn 15 dvds in a day every other month (back up itunes) and other than that; i may burn 1-3 dvds a week if that

i don't think it's dead though because like i said it has power at startup but when windows boots it gets killed.

il try device manager right now and let you know after i get back from school how it turned out

*device manager doesn't seem to have it at all; it has 2 cd rom drives (which i only have 2 physical drives, one cdrom and one dvd+-r/rw) and for some reason its showing 2 of my virtual drives? i have a picture but like i said; i have school in half an hour

*device manager doesn't seem to have it at all; it has 2 cd rom drives (which i only have 2 physical drives, one cdrom and one dvd+-r/rw) and for some reason its showing 2 of my virtual drives?

You recently install somehting that is conflicting with them? You say "virtual" drives? Sound slike you did something in windows to cause this.

*device manager doesn't seem to have it at all; it has 2 cd rom drives (which i only have 2 physical drives, one cdrom and one dvd+-r/rw) and for some reason its showing 2 of my virtual drives?

You recently install somehting that is conflicting with them? You say "virtual" drives? Sound slike you did something in windows to cause this.

no; ive had 5 virtual drives on my computer for months now (i mount my game files on 4 of them; and when i download some new program i mount the image with the 5th)

i havn't done anything lately; im going to take the cover off tonight and double check the cables because im convinced it's the data cable that is bad or loose; otherwise why would it have power before boot up? maybe windows can't recognize it so the m/b cuts power after it realizes that it can't find it...?

i have another drive, picked it up today (my tech teacher had a spare one and let me borrow it to see if it's just the drive thats bad) so if its not just the cable than ill just swap them out and use the spare until i can get to the eletronics store and buy a new one (working 2 jobs and having a full highschool sched. isn't as easy as it sounds haha) circuitcity i noticed online had a pioneer on sale for like 36 bucks; i think maybe ill buy 2 or 3;put one in every coputer i own  :D you can never have enough dvd burners (especially going into architecture or mechanics; backing up your work haha)

Notice how a number of people have said check it at boot up or in bios.  Well, I can't make you take advice...

You could threat to beat him to death with his motherboard's manual.

You have to earn motherboard manual beat ups, no we will just make him listen to post errors until he speaks in POST error format.

as requested (several times) i've checked the bios; it shows up (phillips dvd+-r/rw, along with my other physical drives). now what?

Scan for Virii.

Can you boot from the drive? If you can, windows problem, if you can't, buy a new one.

If Yes:

go to the device manager and right click DVD/CD-rom drives and select scan for hardware changes if its a voltage problem it'll work once you do this.

If No:

It sounds like your drive is dead, not a lose cable. As for brands, The only thing i can recomend is a sony or pioneer. Both have a good rep for being "good quality"

problem solved: it was indeed, as i suspected, a loose cable. i had a spare second to open it up and double check connections and tried it out; and works (well it is recognized in my computer and has power when windows is booted up, im trying it out as soon as i post this)

To me this doesn't make sense. I assume it wasn't the molex, because then it wouldn't have gotten any power, and if it was the SATA/IDE then you probably wouldn't have seen it in BIOS, but hey if it works for you, more power too you.

problem solved: it was indeed, as i suspected, a loose cable. i had a spare second to open it up and double check connections and tried it out; and works (well it is recognized in my computer and has power when windows is booted up, im trying it out as soon as i post this)

To me this doesn't make sense. I assume it wasn't the molex, because then it wouldn't have gotten any power, and if it was the SATA/IDE then you probably wouldn't have seen it in BIOS, but hey if it works for you, more power too you.

yeah; i know it doesn't make sense (it was the sata cable, though in bios it shows as pata) but it worked and thats all i was after; i wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel haha

im thinking; when i checked the connections it moved but it was barely noticeable; so maybe it was out just enough for windows to not see it but in just enough for bios to recognize it?

BIOS some times emulate SATA drive as PATA because Windows is crap. If it didn't emulate it windows would tell you "You know the drive you booted this installer disk off of? Do you have drivers for it's controller, because I lost the drive."