20:40 (09:17) Segment: Homebrew Gaming

21:04 (00:24) Advertisement: GoDaddy

22:40 (01:44) Glue: Trivia

27:38 (04:58) Segment: Mod

33:55 (06:17) Segment: Software Hack

38:00 (04:05) Glue: Wrap up

38:32 (00:32) Credits/Bloopers

Observations:

Contrary to popular belief and based on this small comparison I notice that season 3 segments are actually longer than season 1 segments by an average of 3 minutes. I'd also say the depth of material has stayed about the same as well.

The omission of sketches and plot seem to play a huge role in the personality and character departments. This episode of season 3 didn't have a lot of extras, merely the required segments and glue bits (trivia, wrap up) to make an episode. The lack of things like cold opens, tips, question and answer segments, and little "wtf" moments like the "hack responsibly" non sequitur seem to hinder the episode's character and personality as well.

These things cannot be quantified in charts or graphs yet as far as I see they seem to be the biggest missing ingredient from season 3. What do you think?

My only thing would be to stop listening to all of us and just stick to your guns. You seemed to be on mark with all the points people made and seemed to be aware of all these things as well as wanting to work on the topics brought up, so its not like your not trying to work on shit. I giv eyou credit for taking it from everyone and still wanting to work on the show. I think for all the people bitching to get on skype when they had so much to say off the mic, once they were on, most of them didnt seem to have anything new or constructive to say that you weren't already aware of. It's like they were deer in head lights and just froze in their tracks. They could maybe try helping and be more supportive in their rants instead of barking orders on how things shouldn't be done when they have no idea how to do it themselves. I'd liek to see half of them make their own show.

SomeoneE1se at least seemed to speak clearly and make himself vocal and I could understand what he was saying. He made a good point about the need for completed segments and not cutting corners on the punchline. If you need to make a segment longer, Id say go ahead, but for the small amount of time needed for that one segment about Yahoo Pipes to be cut, it could have been left in. If you took 3 episodes to go over the same Yahoo Pipes segment (as do some other tech shows whos names I wont mention) then maybe there would be a problem.

All in all, I think that was the first time I ever saw you leave out something like that, and it wasnt like someone working on yahoo pipes couldn't ask you for help or have figured it out with a little RTFM once in a while. I mean, you guys lead a lot of us to new things, but at some point the viewers got to take off the training wheels and start to pedal off in their own directions. If they are only looking to learn from one source then how are they going to learn anything at all? Same goes for those who want more advanced content. Maybe they could start contributing some of the ideas they want to see covered instead of waiting to have someone spoon feed it to them.

It seemed to just be a lot of whining and non constructive help once some of them were on and as a whole it seems like it put a dark cloud over everything that was trying to be discussed. I still feel a bit weird after watchign it because while some of the topics wer ethings that can be worked on, for the most part it was just negative energy and almost counterproductive to the whole point of the nights boadcast.

Darren I agree with you that the show had a completely difference feel in S1 most of it because of the skits ,plotting and little links and these things made it different than most of the other" heres a segment, heres another segment etc etc now its the end of the show" tech IPTV shows. Bring back the skits - maybe try different targets -Apple seems fair game to me now after some of their recent activities such as the "let us update that copy of Safari on your computer that isn't there while you update itunes "saga. Oh and whatever Evil Server is demanding in fees to come back to the show- pay it! Maybe a guest spot every few eps as well - even just getting Harrison back on with a bottle in his hand :-P

With regard to the segment length I don't think that should be a major issue- if a it needs to be longer do it - however I feel the show length should be kept with a certain time frame, working within set limits like this often encourages innovation .

It seemed to just be a lot of whining and non constructive help once some of them were on and as a whole it seems like it put a dark cloud over everything that was trying to be discussed. I still feel a bit weird after watchign it because while some of the topics wer ethings that can be worked on, for the most part it was just negative energy and almost counterproductive to the whole point of the nights boadcast.

Yeah, at a certain point the live show took a strange turn and went from what was a constructive dialog into a defensive argument and I apologize for that. It was about the point where Wess showed up unexpectedly to defend USB hacks that I pretty much lost control of the show, hit the bottle hard, and I think Matt and Chris pretty much gave up. Hell even Paul left the switch board to go for a smoke break. I promise it wasn't meant to be like that but again, I lost control and any good intentions had pretty much gone out the window at that point.

People keep asking me about certain aspects of it and I really don't remember. Someone mentioned that TestMAD and Pronobozo were on. Seriously after about the first hour, hour and a half it's all a blank. I rewatched the ending the next morning (hangover land) just to see how it ended I think I was about to fall out of my bar stool when Paul cut. I was half tempted to remove the video from ustream considering how embarrassing it was but the show was for the hardcore 1% and you guys can forgive me for losing control of the show and getting shitfaced.

Oh yeah, and to your other point, yes it was helpful in that we're now absolutely aware of all of the issues everyone has raised and we're working hard on making the show as badass as it possibly can be.

Cheers!

I think they seemed longer because back then, everyone was terrified of the camera, so much like high school public speaking, the main points were violently put out there, cutting the fat. Now, theres more on-screen comfort so the segments are somewhat padded and have deterrence from main concepts.

Camera comfort isn't something that's easily undone too.  It's almost like.. you have scripted stuff on one plate, and unscripted on the other, and it's very hard to find a way to balance that scale while still enjoying it.

Sure it is, you are just looking at it the wrong way.  Next episode, do the show completely naked.  I guarantee you won't be in your comfort zone.  If you really want to, you can edit in some clothes before the show goes public.

Sure it is, you are just looking at it the wrong way.  Next episode, do the show completely naked.  I guarantee you won't be in your comfort zone.  If you really want to, you can edit in some clothes before the show goes public.
the yaoi was fan FIC! FIC, meaning fiction!

These things cannot be quantified in charts or graphs yet as far as I see they seem to be the biggest missing ingredient from season 3. What do you think?

That and beer.

This reminded me of the sketches. Why cant we have the sketches back!

You can have the sketches back. And if you don't watch it we might just end up doing an all sketches 3x10 to make up for the lack throughout the season. That'll really make the hardcore hacker types go nuts. hehe

(Seriously though I'm working on a wifi hack and if I can get these damn kernel modules straight it will have some gray hat too)

This reminded me of the sketches. Why cant we have the sketches back!

You can have the sketches back. And if you don't watch it we might just end up doing an all sketches 3x10 to make up for the lack throughout the season. That'll really make the hardcore hacker types go nuts. hehe

(Seriously though I'm working on a wifi hack and if I can get these damn kernel modules straight it will have some gray hat too)

That would be awesome. And darren as I have said oh-so-many times, if you need segments just discuss the latest phrack(came out a couple days ago and has fairly new methods).

Season 4 should be 100% sketches and monkeys.

Beer drinking Monkeys who know how to code. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I notice is that you all treat it like a job now like oh man we have to make a new ep. but bake then it was a bunch of guys having fun you seemed to enjoy it more back then. It all seem to change when you moved to the hak house and got the new set Just try to have more fun and enjoy what you do