Anti USB Hacks Mod

Joerg

After the recent popularity of the USB based attacks I decided it might be nice to have something from the other team, as it were, so I threw together some basic protection against them.

I'll not release the source yet, it's an absolute mess, but I will release the photo for anyone who'd like to test it...

It's available below and contains a warning message to explain what the mod does.

It's nothing special, admittedly, and I'd really rather not get into an arms race with it but I thought it'd be something to keep me occupied and might be useful to someone, so there it is. I may or may not continue development on it depending on whether many find it useful.

Anyway, it requires a usb port and to the best of my knowledge it should work on Windows XP and Vista, both x86 and x64, and even on all versions of Linux/Unix/Mac/Solaris/BSD/DOS/...

Enjoy.

width=600 height=276http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2973/1337usbtq3.png[/img]

Just don't use it! It will harm your hardware!

I took the original post from Moonlit and modified it. No, his application is not redundant.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

It's English slang for "Are you trying to make a fool of me, mate?".

I'm not nearly as irritated as my reply makes me seem but I did have to try to find the humour. I'm sure it was done with nothing but good taste in mind, but it could easily be taken as a hint that my application was redundant and largely useless (and while that might be the case, at least I made an effort).

I doubt that's what you meant though, if I'd thought you had posted it to suggest that, I'd have just deleted this thread.

Thanks for explanation.

It was certainly not meant to make your application seem redundant and useless.

First I wanted to write an own text saying that this method will make your computer safe forever, but it seemed a good idea for me for taking your post, changing the non-common parts and release it as a hardware solution which eliminates the problem of modified usb keys.

Thanks for explanation.

It was certainly not meant to make your application seem redundant and useless.

First I wanted to write an own text saying that this method will make your computer safe forever, but it seemed a good idea for me for taking your post, changing the non-common parts and release it as a hardware solution which eliminates the problem of modified usb keys.

Appreciate the clarification, no worries, thanks. Quite a useful device, though, very discrete (though as you say, unfortunately potentially destructive).

So wait, you modify a USB port so that when someone plugs in a USB key it fries their thumbdrive? I mean, wouldnt that also pose the potential to damage the PC as well?

I'd much rather just disable the USB int he BIOS, password protect it, then disable all USB devices in Device Manager, or even use some sort of Group Policy to turn the hardware off.

I dont need a fire breaking out just to stop someone from trying to use a USB hack on my box or laptop. If your going to mod it, why not just REMOVE any USB hardware to begin with.

Someone should design pc (and server) case that has locking covers and doors over hardware ports, so if I want to keep people from using the USB ports on my pc, I have to use somehting like a vending key to unlock the cover or case. Implement that on something like a laptop somehow and it would probably make a good selling point.

Someone should design pc (and server) case that has locking covers and doors over hardware ports, so if I want to keep people from using the USB ports on my pc, I have to use somehting like a vending key to unlock the cover or case. Implement that on something like a laptop somehow and it would probably make a good selling point.

What would you do if you lost the key?

buy a new key, pick the lock, rekey the lock?

buy a new key, pick the lock, rekey the lock?

I was thinking a digital combo lock would be better. Like this: |0|1|2|3|4|5|

I was thinking a digital combo lock would be better. Like this: |0|1|2|3|4|5|

That would probably be picked quicker than a vending lock, but still, a good idea because the average person walking by you in a cafe is going to move past you to teh easy targets just becase there is no viewable ports available. Even have a lock so you can keep them form opening the lid on a laptop, so if they steal it, the woudl hav eto hack it apart with something, thus defeating the purpose of stealing a laptop if you just going to end up destroying it.

if you're leaving your computer unattended in a coffee shop you've got more problems then the Switchblade

True. Just any deterent against a thief is also good to have against someone with quick hands and feet. :)

• 1 month later...