file sharing on VMs "trying to file share Ubuntu and XP"

reekon

ok i just installed Ubuntu on a VMs on top of a xp system everything is working fine and it looks and feel real noob friendly, problem is how do I set up my file sharing? ubuntu sees my windows computer but when I click on it I get a error message. can anyone help with this?

ok, i got it to work, thanks for the links.  it works and it doesn't, I can see my vm and my xp box in linux but I cant see  my linux box in xp. i swapped a file back and forward through the windows shared file but the shared i made in linux is  useless

definitely will mount. Everything is up and running well b ut once again Linux fails to detect my wireless. on my dell inspiron 1520. I go look for drivers and everyone says get something called a wrapper or something like that but I have no I deal where to get it. I will Google again and see if I missed something.

it detects everything else, why not the wireless

There are two settings for accessing a network using a VM, bridged, which shares the hosts connection, and unbrisged which can assign the VM it's own IP address from the router(if any are available) but I belive only over ethernet, and not wireless. I have yet to get a VM get a dedicated IP using wireless or even detect a wireless card, but it can access the internet through wireless if the HOST is already connected to an access point, it will just share that HOSTS connection in either bridged or standard mode. I use to use AnonymOS live cd in a VM over wireless(Even though its a live cd and you can just boot directly into it, I still used it in a VM to see if I could capture any packets using Wireshark on a windows host OS).

Or, if you have USB wifi (and ONLY USB, will not work with PCCard/ExpressCard/PCI) you could give control of the adapter to the VM (providing you're using VMWare). This requires drivers in the guest OS though, just like a real machine.