Backtrack and my inspiron 1520

reekon

I downloaded backtrack and it loads fine but it does not detect my wireless card  Dell wireless 1395 wlan mini-card manufacturer broadcom. D i need to install a driver? This is my first time using linux and I am lost, is there anyone out there with some free time willing to help out with some advice on how to configure backtrack or at least point me in the right direction?

If it's your first time using Linux I might suggest you give Ubuntu a whirl. The majority of wireless adapters worked in 7.04 which was later improved to support even more in 7.10 and most likely will be improved once again in 8.04.

Backtrack worked with my Broadcom in my laptop, I just had to(after booting into backtrack desktop) do the Function+F2 key combo to turn on the radio of the card. Then all the wireless tools worked with my card. Once it loses the card though, I usually had to reboot to get it back. Buggy, be this was with (I think) a Backtrack 2 Live Disc. I used a sperate USB Thumb drive to store all the wifi, wireshark logs and packet data, etc.

Backtrack worked with my Broadcom in my laptop, I just had to(after booting into backtrack desktop) do the Function+F2 key combo to turn on the radio of the card. Then all the wireless tools worked with my card. Once it loses the card though, I usually had to reboot to get it back. Buggy, be this was with (I think) a Backtrack 2 Live Disc. I used a sperate USB Thumb drive to store all the wifi, wireshark logs and packet data, etc.

Thanks, I will try this now, i realy don't have the cash to go buy a new card. And to let you all know I am seriouse about learning and not just here trying to get easy answers i went to the library today and got me a linux book intitled  LINUX for windows addicts by: Michael Joseph Miller

I know it might not be the best but it looks user freindly and that's what i need. Most of these sites, forums, and books claim to be noob freindly but are not, They forget that this is new to us and since they have been using said program for awhile they forget or assume we know what they are talking about.

Thanks, I will try this now, i realy don't have the cash to go buy a new card. And to let you all know I am seriouse about learning and not just here trying to get easy answers i went to the library today and got me a linux book intitled  LINUX for windows addicts by: Michael Joseph Miller

I know it might not be the best but it looks user freindly and that's what i need. Most of these sites, forums, and books claim to be noob freindly but are not, They forget that this is new to us and since they have been using said program for awhile they forget or assume we know what they are talking about.

Bravo my friend  :-P

I'm getting real pissed. I want to move to Linux but it is hard as hell, I can't even get it to recognize my wireless card. I'm not a windows expert or anything but I know my way around pretty good, trying to navigate around in Linux is hard as hell, I'm reading books and forums but it's still hella hard. I think I would learn better just by using it as my primary OS cause that's how I learned windows. I read a few books and picked up a few tips here and there but for the most part i learned by just using it. And with Linux I can't even load up all my devices to use it as my OS. I feel like a freakin retard

One thing I have found. Linux tells you its going to be easy, but in reality if what happens deviates from what you expect to happen, then Linux is damn hard, especially if your new to the whole thing. What really helped me learn a lot about UNIX/Linux was switching to an OS called FreeBSD. Its not newbie friendly, and it doesn't set out to be, but, and this is important, it has a very complete manual, a good community and above all else its logically laid out and designed (where as I find linux to be slightly south of sane at times). So while it won't be that easy to use intially, it will be a far more effective learning platform than say Ubuntu or Backtrack. Also, your new, we've all been there. Expect to go "Oh fuckit!" and reinstall about 20 times in the first month.

I'm getting real pissed. I want to move to Linux but it is hard as hell, I can't even get it to recognize my wireless card. I'm not a windows expert or anything but I know my way around pretty good, trying to navigate around in Linux is hard as hell, I'm reading books and forums but it's still hella hard. I think I would learn better just by using it as my primary OS cause that's how I learned windows. I read a few books and picked up a few tips here and there but for the most part i learned by just using it. And with Linux I can't even load up all my devices to use it as my OS. I feel like a freakin retard

Just to note, Linux is a Windows alternative, not a Windows replacement. That makes a big difference.

I had problems like this with my dell inspiron 1300. I had to use ndiswrapper (google it)to overcome it and does get kinda indepth working through this, however with Linux 2.6.17 kernel the driver for broadcom 43... cards are there and you shouldn't have any problems so check which kernel you are running.

Also if you are just starting with linux I would highly recommen going to linuxreality.com and lietenning to the podcasts -they are great and the forum there is helpful - also have and irc channel as well.

Linuxbasics.org run a good free course as well and again have forums and irc.

Thanks, i will head on over to the sites and check them out, I was on the HAK5 IRC today and I mentioned to the crew that i want to do a dual boot but everyone said it was hella hard for a noob to partition in Linux. I want Linux bad but i don't really like the live CD since when i am running it I can you my CD drive. I can't go straight Linux since I do photography and Graphics and I need to be able to use Adobe Suite 3 Gimp is good but PS CS3 is the shit. So I really really really want to do a dual boot.

Question I know very little about VMs, If I load Linux on a VM will I be able to save files to my main hard drive or will I be forced to save and back up files on a USB stick?

I had problems like this with my dell inspiron 1300. I had to use ndiswrapper (google it)to overcome it and does get kinda indepth working through this, however with Linux 2.6.17 kernel the driver for broadcom 43... cards are there and you shouldn't have any problems so check which kernel you are running.

Also if you are just starting with linux I would highly recommen going to linuxreality.com and lietenning to the podcasts -they are great and the forum there is helpful - also have and irc channel as well.

Linuxbasics.org run a good free course as well and again have forums and irc.

Thanks, i will head on over to the sites and check them out, I was on the HAK5 IRC today and I mentioned to the crew that i want to do a dual boot but everyone said it was hella hard for a noob to partition in Linux. I want Linux bad but i don't really like the live CD since when i am running it I can you my CD drive. I can't go straight Linux since I do photography and Graphics and I need to be able to use Adobe Suite 3 Gimp is good but PS CS3 is the shit. So I really really really want to do a dual boot.

Question I know very little about VMs, If I load Linux on a VM will I be able to save files to my main hard drive or will I be forced to save and back up files on a USB stick?

You will be able to store the files on to your main hard drive or datastick you will have to tell VM that you wanna use the Datastick or harddrive as it makes a file pretend to be a harddrive so liunx or any OS things its a hard disk as thats whats it been told.