Hacking the Gibson never looked so good...

digip

It somehow reminds me of the movie Hackers, where they had that walk through 3-D imagery of the file system. I can imagine browsing files using something like this and then another (flat rectangle) screen below it with a touch screen keyboard for typing.

The Guy says its a concept but I have seen something exactly like this in real life.

If anyone has ever been to Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh, if you go into the Earth Fact Area, there is one of these in the middle where you can interact with the globe.

I've seen so many concepts like this over the last few years, first in scifi and more recently either in concept or in actual product (iphone, surface).

I believe in the not too distant future this type of interaction will become commonplace and the idea of interacting with a computer (or any smart device) with gestures will become an afterthought.

Sorta same topic, but a little off the wall, I am surprised they havent added a touch screen and bar code scanner to refrigerators yet. When putting anything in the fridge, you can scan the bar code and the fridge can then date the item. Come to the touch screen on the front, see how long an item is in there "Damn, the milk is two months old and spoiled, what the fuck!". Or see to what your getting low on or out of, when something is done and thrown out, scan the same item again and it goes into another list that gives you totals on what was used up and what you are out of.

Yeah, you can just open the door and look around, but say your getting ready to go grocery shopping, push a button on the screen and get a list of things you need based on what was in there and what was used up. Have a PDA or Smart Phone sync up with the fridge and then take the list with you on so you dont forget anything. Also, you can use the same scanner for items on the shelf (Like cereal, soup cans, etc, etc), Anything with a barcode.

Some more interactive desktop stuff:

Its the Bump Top 3d desktop interface. Pretty neet if you have a huge touch screen monitor to work on.

Funny, the guy says hes running off a mac, but the OS looks like Windows XP.

EDIT: It is XP.