certain sites kill firefox

Darren Kitchen

Anyone ever have the problem where certain sites make firefox sit there throbbing forever with every subsequent link? It was driving me crazy so I upgraded to FF 3b5 and sadly the bug has carried over. Disabled all the plugins too. Guess I'll have to do the manual reinstall or *gasp* go to Opera ;)

Firefox is kinda like Windows, It needs a reinstall just as often.

Except that won't fix Firefox. Instead just make a new profile (much easier and quicker), the only issue been you 'lose' all the extensions. You can get the bookmarks back easy enough.

What sites? and are they safe for work? ;)

The only ones I know for sure are Twitter and Myspace (I know, I know, but about once a week I login to accept all the friend requests. That's it. Promise). I know there are a bunch of other ones but they just seem to pop up on my journeys across the web. Maybe Firefox is trying to tell me something...

Or you could build a skin for it .

I want a skin that has a address bar, a load/go button like IE7, a back button, and a google suggest search bar (like firefox) everything else should be handled with a context menu.

An application should be distributed as usable.  I shouldn't have to rely on making it usable myself.

Guess I'll have to do the manual reinstall or *gasp* go to Opera ;)

Proud Opera user of 5 years.

Firefox can be a good tool every once an a while for certain things like firebug 8), but Opera makes a great browser, and just as good as a tool for most things  :-P

I want a skin that has a address bar, a load/go button like IE7, a back button, and a google suggest search bar (like firefox) everything else should be handled with a context menu.

An application should be distributed as usable.  I shouldn't have to rely on making it usable myself.

does windows have everything you want? how about OSX? installed anything to make them more usable?

does windows have everything you want? how about OSX? installed anything to make them more usable?

An operating system isn't an application. 

You must work for microsoft while correct it doesn't change the fact that it's it's more or less the same thing, you can use an OS without changing or installing anything.  And you can use Firefox without changing adding any add-ons.

You must work for microsoft while correct it doesn't change the fact that it's it's more or less the same thing, you can use an OS without changing or installing anything.  And you can use Firefox without changing adding any add-ons.

It is not usable for me.

Flames aside I think Firefox 3 beta 5 is quite usable for me ;)

Thanks for the heads up on creating a new profile. That seems to have put a band-aid on the problem but I'm still concerned that once I add the addons I need back in the problem will crop up again. My best guess is either Google Browser Sync or StumbleUpon are breaking it but that's just speculation.

As for Opera, I switched to it on my eeePC since it runs x2 as fast as Firefox is is much more reliable. I may go ahead and make the switch if I can find comperable plugins.

Thx for the advice guys

make sure the extensions are not editing  the connection settings

some extensions such as down them all and many others will edit the connection settings  to fit their needs

like downthemall will set the connections to 204 connections and 108  connections per server and and many sites wont work with this

so they will act like their loading but never finish loading.  others will load for like 5 minutes and others wont load at all with the connections set that high.

make sure your extensions are not doing something similar

width=713 height=293http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/958/connectionjd5.jpg[/img]

I would just like to say that I have this exact problem. I hadn't ever heard of anyone else who noticed it and so I just thought that it was something that I was doing, because I normally browse either with Privoxy or the http proxy at university.

The addons that I have with FF2 at the moment are

• [li]noscript[/li]

[li]cookiesafe[/li]

[li]greasemonkey[/li]

[li]Zotero (a little app. for collecting bibliographic references, I have found it to be really useful)[/li]

[li]flashgot[/li]

Zotero I installed only a few weeks ago, I don't think that it's that because I've been noticing this for years.

greasemonkey I also only installed recently, and I only have one script installed for it (an add blocking script for yahoo mail (which I hate so much but am forced to use))

I have noticed that this happens on digg allot, but also other sites. Digg a site that I'm on alot though, so I guess it's the one that I would have noticed more easily. I think it also does not matter whether they have scripting enabled or not.