Speed up connection

Brennan

I have a 20mb dl advertised connection but I barley see any of that before I get slowed down

any suggestions on how to speed it up?

What is your hardware setup. PC specs, router, modem, etc. These all play a role in yoru conenction speed as well as ehternet vs wireless and shared connections. Too many variables to help you without some more info, but you mgith want to take a look at :http://www.dslreports.com/tools

I have asus m2n4 SLI mobo

AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+

2 512GB dual threading

2 - 250GB HDD running raid 0 (for the speed reasons)

evega nvida 7300GS video card

I know the CPU is low but it doesn't max out

my only guess on the hardware side could be the RAM

wired

and my router/modem is WCG200 ver. 2

and as sharded connection from this computer no but throgh a router/switch/modem yes but they only surf no dl

what is your connection type, and what are you noticing actually occur?  Is it Cable?  is it during high traffic times?

http://www.speedtest.net might be of help.... or contact your ISP. 

Also if you read the fine print, (and the not-so-fine print)... you'll see where they only promise "UP-TO" meaning you could get anything better than nothing, but up to 20mbps.  so they could give you 128kbps and still technically be within their contractual agreements.

Is your cable modem docsis 2.0 complient and is your nic card configured properly? Ram helps speed up the pc, but not so much your connection. The connection is based more on the network hardware, like the NIC card, Router, and Cable modem. Usually a cable modem will be your first hurdle to fix. I was only getting 1-2 mbit download speeds with my old RCA docsis 1.0 modem, but I upgraded to a Linksys BEFCMU10 and my connection jumped to about 20-30 meg downloads and 2-3 meg uploads. Also, upgrade youe cables to Cat5 cables if your using something like cat3 if going with the faster hardware for gigabit routers and nics to get the best results. Cat3 cable can also be part of the bottleneck. These all play a role in what they do and how yoru network can gain speed over your current setup.

I have seen 2-3 MB coming to my computer alone but now it hard to download one thing and try to go to a website. My modem is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant, never really configured my nic card I just installed the drivers, and my cables are Cat5e

Your never really going to see 20mbit downloads for a file from a website. Torrents would probably even top out around 500kbps even on something like FIOS. This is because sites all have different speeds of their own.

A speed test dedicated to showing you your top speed is where you will see this type of bandwidth result. Try some speed tests from some different sites and see what the results are.(Using a speed test for a site that is on another continet or other country is not going to give you the best reults, obviously)

You can probably tweak your connection under your nic settings to make sure its set to full duplex. Check your router settings as well and make sure everything is set properly.

Just out of curiosity, but how are you gauging your downloads right now? How long does it take to download a 100meg video file from places like hak5 or other video sites like revision3. I suspect your connection is doing what its supposed to and you just expect things to download at 20mbit/sec when in reality a line rated for that speed will never download at that speed consistently. Especially when your talking about the internet in general, unless its a dedicated pipe between you and someone else with a 20mbit connection, you wont see those kinds of download speeds for file downloads from websites or even torrents. Speeds vary depending on the sources location of the file(in relationship to the distance from you or your isp) and their connections on the other end.

....wow and y'all call your self geeks?

comcast right?

the highest comcast offers(in my area at least) is 8 megaBITs per second, that's 1 byte per second.  File sizes are mostly in bytes not bits so it takes some time to get used to that.  comcast also offers PowerBoost that will "bump" your connection to 20 megabits/s, but ony for the first 10MB

(everything on the comcast site says MB for megabyte but it may be Mb for megabit and the web developers are just stupid)

the highest comcast offers(in my area at least) is 8 megaBITs per second, that's 1 Megabyte per second.

I would say call them. If you get a reponce to the effect of "Well we just tested your connection and it seems fine" then they have temporeraly tuned off the throteling on your connection.

the highest comcast offers(in my area at least) is 8 megaBITs per second, that's 1 Megabyte per second.

I would say call them. If you get a reponce to the effect of "Well we just tested your connection and it seems fine" then they have temporeraly tuned off the throteling on your connection.

....and I call myself a geek... *tear*

also make sure your service actually offers this speed all the time. some isp's will say 20mbits for the first 2 MB of your download  then they  push you down to a slow speed

(it is kinda like those idiot cellphone store owners you see in the middle of the city yelling out "free cellphones " 

when i asked them about it (i knew it was not free) they wanted $180 for the phone and said when you agree to the 3 year plan, you get $180 in savings, the plan offered 300 minutes and cost $80 a month  complete ripoff, if anyone falls for it there crazy)

call your isp and find out if the speed is offered at all times or  just offered for a small portion of a download.

if you want to make sure the problem is not a software one, then run a linux live cd and run the speed test

a service like fios will offer that speed all the time and you will see the full speed from many sites, especially when using the down them all firefox extension  (helps with those sites that cap the speeds )

....wow and y'all call your self geeks?

comcast right?

the highest comcast offers(in my area at least) is 8 megaBITs per second, that's 1 byte per second.  File sizes are mostly in bytes not bits so it takes some time to get used to that.  comcast also offers PowerBoost that will "bump" your connection to 20 megabits/s, but ony for the first 10MB

(everything on the comcast site says MB for megabyte but it may be Mb for megabit and the web developers are just stupid)

na RCN and I gave the fastest plan availabil

Your never really going to see 20mbit downloads for a file from a website. Torrents would probably even top out around 500kbps even on something like FIOS. This is because sites all have different speeds of their own.

That's not true, I've downloaded from loads of sites at around 10 megabytes/second (which would be 80mbps) and torrents from private trackers at 2-3 megabytes/second. The get better speeds from websites a download manager which opens multiple connections to the site helps.

What sort of speed do you download at i hope you dont want to download 20mb/s on your 20mb connection

well I have seen torrents top out around 2mb  and ddl at 1mb

That sounds about right. If you having issues surfing while doing a lot of downloading at the same time, like with torrents and stuff, throttle your upload speed to about half of what your system can handle. Often I see a problem not so much with my download traffic, but if I am on a torrent that uses all of my upload bandwidth, my other surfing stats to suffer and time out. Throttleing it to about 40k usually helps on my connection, but this is determined by your speeds. See what your upload speeds are and adjust accordingly from there. If your on a torrent and your upload syas its going at 60k, drop it to 25-30k.

Also, test yoru connection and post the results back here. You can use http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ or one of th eones from DSL reports.

What sort of speed do you download at i hope you dont want to download 20mb/s on your 20mb connection

well I have seen torrents top out around 2mb  and ddl at 1mb

That sounds about right. If you having issues surfing while doing a lot of downloading at the same time, like with torrents and stuff, throttle your upload speed to about half of what your system can handle. Often I see a problem not so much with my download traffic, but if I am on a torrent that uses all of my upload bandwidth, my other surfing stats to suffer and time out. Throttleing it to about 40k usually helps on my connection, but this is determined by your speeds. See what your upload speeds are and adjust accordingly from there. If your on a torrent and your upload syas its going at 60k, drop it to 25-30k.

Also, test yoru connection and post the results back here. You can use http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ or one of th eones from DSL reports.

yeah that would make sense but this also happens when I don't dl

Then I would start scanning the pc for malware. Maybe run wireshark for a little while and go through the logs to see what is going on. If the pc is clean, then maybe its a configuration problem, or you can try switching to something like Open DNS to see if your connection changes for better or worse in any way.

All else fails, start resetting all your hardware to their base settings(like hard reset on modem and router, maybe even see if you get a new IP address assigned to you in the process) and then start over.

DSL reports offers some tools to query your systems connection to try and diagnose issues and they offer a tool Dr.TcpIp which can make changes to the registry to help try and fix the problem with latency, but it may not do anything for you at all if there are other issues we are not aware of: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

Then I would start scanning the pc for malware. Maybe run wireshark for a little while and go through the logs to see what is going on. If the pc is clean, then maybe its a configuration problem, or you can try switching to something like Open DNS to see if your connection changes for better or worse in any way.

All else fails, start resetting all your hardware to their base settings(like hard reset on modem and router, maybe even see if you get a new IP address assigned to you in the process) and then start over.

DSL reports offers some tools to query your systems connection to try and diagnose issues and they offer a tool Dr.TcpIp which can make changes to the registry to help try and fix the problem with latency, but it may not do anything for you at all if there are other issues we are not aware of: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

scanned and nothing, I went through the configuration and all seems good, The openDNS grabbed the page faster but still cuts out on bigger pages with more pics and stuff like that

I have tried that already but still the same plus my other computers are fine so I think it would be with this system and not that network hardware

and Dr.TCP didn't do anything

and it might help if I mention it acts normal for a couple minutes after I do a release and renew

I'm on 10mb which is fine for me but when you see adverts they saying (well in England) "Up to 10mb" which means you might never get that sort of speed but will see a little difference between up to 5 and 10mb. I would say see whats using your internet connection just because your surfing the web your firewall antivuris windows and other programs might be using the connection to check for updates.