USB Hacks | I've registered and now I can't see it?

VaKo

USB hacks is now only open to people with 16 posts or more. This is to encourage people to become involved with the rest of Hak5 before they dive into the cancer that is USB Hacks. Having it open to anyone brings in what one can only describe as "The Wrong Crowd", and as such measure have to be taken, no matter how retroactively, to bring matters under control. This is all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's why I could no longer access the USB section.

Fair enough, it's your board, you call the shots.

I do take issue with some people branding me as a script kiddie in the thread I started regarding this topic (can't link there because I can no longer see it) just because I have few posts on this board or made a pun on "sandbox" and "big boys" (it's called irony on this side of the pond).

I understand you get upset with all the "please help me hack into system A or B" posts from people with malicious intent and unwilling to learn anything for themselves. However you should not lump everyone into the same bag merely because they have few posts. I know it is hard to distinguish the wheat from the chaff but maybe a better criteria would be the content of their posts rather than the number.

I've been on the net since the days of the 2400 baud modem (my first one - ah the memories) and, although I have no special leet haxor skills (i can't even get your lingo down properly), I am a true hacker in the original sense of the word since way before most of you were born. That was in the spectrum 48k days for those of you old enough to remember... In the real world one is polite to people one does not know, unless they prove themselves unworthy. It's called proper manners and I don't see why they should not be followed on the internet also. Remember to be polite as you would like others to be towards you. You never know who's on the end of that IP address....

That's it. End of inter-generational rant

So that's why I could no longer access the USB section.

Fair enough, it's your board, you call the shots.

I do take issue with some people branding me as a script kiddie in the thread I started regarding this topic (can't link there because I can no longer see it) just because I have few posts on this board or made a pun on "sandbox" and "big boys" (it's called irony on this side of the pond).

I understand you get upset with all the "please help me hack into system A or B" posts from people with malicious intent and unwilling to learn anything for themselves. However you should not lump everyone into the same bag merely because they have few posts. I know it is hard to distinguish the wheat from the chaff but maybe a better criteria would be the content of their posts rather than the number.

I've been on the net since the days of the 2400 baud modem (my first one - ah the memories) and, although I have no special leet haxor skills (i can't even get your lingo down properly), I am a true hacker in the original sense of the word since way before most of you were born. That was in the spectrum 48k days for those of you old enough to remember... In the real world one is polite to people one does not know, unless they prove themselves unworthy. It's called proper manners and I don't see why they should not be followed on the internet also. Remember to be polite as you would like others to be towards you. You never know who's on the end of that IP address....

That's it. End of inter-generational rant

See, your the type of people we want to keep around. But for every one of you, there are 99 people skiddies. Its not a perfect solution, but we're working on it. Out of intrest, what would you suggest?

Well, like you said, there is no perfect solution.

You are in a sense a victim of your own success and so will attract large crowds; some better than others.

Like in any community, you have a hierarchy. Those at the top can judge the newcomers' posts and decide whether to let them have access to the restricted areas or not. This should be done maybe with a mix of quantity and quality of posts. again, only admins or trusted regulars should have the capability to judge. Of course this is a lot of work.

The other simpler solution is to allow everyone access and then just ignore the bad ones and their questions. Eventually they will move on to other boards as people tend to do when ignored or banned repeatedly.

like I said, there's no perfect solution but I think you've all done a good job so far.

I forget the register process and what it was like back when I made my account, but a few things I like that you implemented were the so many posts before they can send URL's to reduce spam, etc. One thing that I would do in addition to your current post count/access feature, is that say when you sign up, the first time they log on they get a discalimer and access to only a child board for new users. They have to agree to it in order to post, otherwise they can only browse until they accept the TOS or policy, and can only see certain boards, like stuff strictly for the show liek Episodes, Tips, #hak5 and Questions.

Then for things like the USB Hacks, coding challenges, hacks and mods, everything else, and the rest of them, where they need to have a certain number of posts to access those boards (if they havent already by way of google cache or wayback machine) they get another discalimer. One the pertains in detail as to the kind of posts acceptable in USB hacks and the other boards and what is encouraged, discouraged for those boards.  This way, if they havent gotten it through their head what the acceptable use of the baord is, they get banned from them for a certain number of posts anf they go back to the kiddie pool with the rest of the kids, say a harsh 30 posts. If after that they do anything once they get back full access, their IP is banned and they get no access to the forums at all, not just the loss of those sections.

I know its a step process that they have to jump through hoops for, but let them see the names of the baords, but deny access to them until they reach a certain post level and familiarity with the type of people wanted and not wanted, and what actually goes on here. I may be a bit harsh, but even I needed some people to lay into me when I first came here to kind of get to grips with what goes down on the forums. I came to find myself understanding not to be offended by people trying to show me the way, but to respect and understand more of what was going on here. I think for me personally I have learned a lot about computers and things that I really just touched the surface of when I started watching the show, and the forums have helped expand that process probably more than the show itself. I think if people could  see that side of it and understand the value for the wealth of combined knowledge from people on here, their posts,  and the converstions we've had on here, then they would probably understand why it takes so much work to keep it that way. So while they may not like the rules or they hoops they have to jump through to gain access to these other sections, I think they will grow to understand the amount of time and effrot it takes to keep them running and learn to respect them for what we use them for. I peruse other places from time to time, but I know if I have a question I can usually get an answer on here, and when people ask for help, I find myself reseraching their problems, because it sparks an interest in the subject for myself, as well as teaches me something in the process.

That has been my main reason to come back here again and again. Yeah, at some point, the level of things may be below some of the more lite people on here, but it doesnt seem to stop them from coming back either or helping others, which I find nice. Some forums I have been on have been harsh to everyone new I see on there, and even for the regulars, they tend to act like asses to each other, like as if it somehow validates their level of liteness. Hak5 seems to usually do a pretty good job of squashing that pretty quickly and making the effort to steer people into the right direction for their questions and lead them to the answer with minimal snide remarks (aside for the occasional jab here and there, like answering "Ubuntu" to every question is always good for a laugh, and n00b is a highly likable word I see frequently used by some of the regulars and doesnt seem too harsh).

Thoughts, flames welcome...

Well, like you said, there is no perfect solution.

You are in a sense a victim of your own success and so will attract large crowds; some better than others.

Like in any community, you have a hierarchy. Those at the top can judge the newcomers' posts and decide whether to let them have access to the restricted areas or not. This should be done maybe with a mix of quantity and quality of posts. again, only admins or trusted regulars should have the capability to judge. Of course this is a lot of work.

The other simpler solution is to allow everyone access and then just ignore the bad ones and their questions. Eventually they will move on to other boards as people tend to do when ignored or banned repeatedly.

like I said, there's no perfect solution but I think you've all done a good job so far.

These are good ideas, and post moderation is something I need to look into tbh. As long as the moderators are sufficiently nuanced to know how to apply the guidelines it might work with some oversite. I had looked into heavier moderation of that section but this was eventually deemed unsupportable, mainly because I would have to read that shit, and also because mostly there was nothing I would deem banable, it was just annoyingly lame for the most part. I think the real mistake I made was sticking all the USB stuff into one section on its own and largely ignoring it. It allowed the area to develop along lines I later came to realize (read: had shouted at me) lacked syncronisity with the rest of the forums and the community at large. By that point it was largely to late to affect any real change subtlety.

digip has some excellent points and I agree with him on most of them.  One thing that  I disagree with is the IP blocking.  Most of the people hanging out in the USB hacks section will figure out its an IP block and just unplug their modem and get a new one.  If enough IPs get blocked it may stop legitimate users from using this site for awhile.  Maybe a temporary IP block (like a month?) would be more appropriate.

Thats my two cents.

hey what's up folks. . . in the begining there was no hacker's and kiddies there was computer wiz kids and they learned from somewhere

from dad of books games puzzles or whater my point is  right now people are learning from u and now u are cutting them short8-)

hey what's up folks. . . in the begining there was no hacker's and kiddies there was computer wiz kids and they learned from somewhere

from dad of books games puzzles or whater my point is  right now people are learning from u and now u are cutting them short8-)

They are not cutting them short, They are stopping pepole only intrested in protecting the common pepole from script kiddies

Actually you just explained how I feel right there. Not in the way you intended, mind you.

See, you're right, back in the day there were no people to turn to, kids had to learn for themselves and that's something that not enough of them (or us, I still include myself as a beginner) actually do. I've explained it elsewhere on this forum too, if you rely on pre-packed download click-n-pwn tools then you never learn anything, you just piss people off with your little awesome USB key. No idea how it works, what it does or how it does it, just... your cool little USB stick. Now, if you had to be the first guy to figure that out, you'd learn stuff.

Granted, that could sound like I don't want anyone to ask questions or anyone else to give answers, far from it. We just got sick of kids rolling in here picking up the tools and running off to try them without a second thought for what they're actually doing. That and the less than useful/ethical (yeah, I know)/legal additions to the packages available.

Downloading files, copying them to USB sticks isn't learning.

Wow K1u.  Have you ever been stirring the pot lately.  What happened to this?

I visited these forums 2 years ago. I was a immature child at the time, I have matured greatly in this 2 year time period. I hope to be accepted after this time. Thank you.

You say you hope to be accepted but you sure are making it hard.

Quote taken from http://forums.hak5.org/index.php/topic,728...9.html#msg76069

Wow K1u.  Are you ever stirring the pot.  What happened to this?

I visited these forums 2 years ago. I was a immature child at the time, I have matured greatly in this 2 year time period. I hope to be accepted after this time. Thank you.

You say you hope to be accepted but you sure are making it hard.

Quote taken from http://forums.hak5.org/index.php/topic,728...9.html#msg76069

If you only knew the real reason I am doing it you would not say that :D

Hehehe...

Want to share the real reason or are you just going to keep being like this?

You are a fucking idiot.  You people call this guy a n00b, but yet your too stupid to see that he has basically quadrupled the amount of traffic to his site.

Wow.  He is clearly gaining tons of traffic due to it.  Now that guy is fucking smart.

Want to share the real reason or are you just going to keep being like this?

You are a fucking idiot.  You people call this guy a n00b, but yet your too stupid to see that he has basically quadrupled the amount of traffic to his site.

Wow.  He is clearly gaining tons of traffic due to it.  Now that guy is fucking smart.

Wow, we never would have caught on to that one without your insigt Thank you for the great info, I think i'll run right over and create an account right now. Thanks again, we're all such a bunch of n00bs, but you have shown us the way.

If K1u thinks he can do a better job of running a USB Hackers forum, he is welcome to try. If you feel the need to run away from the "Nazi  Admins" here, then your welcome to leave. All I'm trying to do is bring the USB Hacks section in line with the rest of the community, just an enforced lurk if you think about it. The problem I see is that the people who join for USB hacks are not interested in anything else we do here. By making it 16  posts or more, at least people will be forced to engage themselves with the rest of the community before they jump into USB Hacks for some quick Insta-Pwn ready meals.