What programming language to learn?

Dynamic

Hey, well i kinda wanna learn a programming language, but really not sure what to learn first.

I know know alot about most other things with computers except it, and i feel like it would be nice to learn one to understand more.

Dont get me wrong or anything, i know far from everything else ^^ but well know a bit about alot.

So im just wondering what languages you would recommend?

If its hard to learn or not isnt such a big deal as long as its possible.

Thanks in advance,

Dynamic

I started with C. There have been others along the way (PASCAL, COBOL and other ones that have gone the way of Latin spoken every day).

The main thing is to start with one, it really doesn't have to be anyone in particular. It will help you to start understanding how to think logically and what the structures behind the language are. After that you can learn others.

I recently had this question myself. I decided to start with something like Bash scripting and Perl because I figured it has direct uses for my hobbies. LinuxCBT has some great videos on scripting from Linux. I guess these don't really qualify as full programming languages so I will probably move to C and Assembly afterwards since I am interested in learning about rootkits.

I think you ought to check out something that is going to provide you with some immediate use in your own projects/hobbies. I've found that if I don't use something I've learned I feel like I've wasted time learning it in the first place...

Java is easy. C[++] stomps all over Java in speed.

Which one of these is the one you can compile and write to the boot sector of a computer and it would just display "Hello World"?

Now that is a waste of assembly...

How is that a waste? Do you even understand what that is?

Which one of these is the one you can compile and write to the boot sector of a computer and it would just display "Hello World"?

Yes.....

Yes.....

well?

how is it a waist?

Yes.....

well?

how is it a waist?

Erasing a boot sector to print hello world on a screen...

Yes.....

well?

how is it a waist?

Erasing a boot sector to print hello world on a screen...

If you find that a waste, then you are not a geek.

Do you want to learn to program or to learn a programming language? Peter Norvig (from Google) gives this advice:

Several people have asked what programming language they should learn first. There is no one answer, but consider these points:

* Use your friends. When asked "what operating system should I use, Windows, Unix, or Mac?", my answer is usually: "use whatever your friends use." The advantage you get from learning from your friends will offset any intrinsic difference between OS, or between programming languages. Also consider your future friends: the community of programmers that you will be a part of if you continue. Does your chosen language have a large growing community or a small dying one? Are there books, web sites, and online forums to get answers from? Do you like the people in those forums?

* Keep it simple. Programming languages such as C++ and Java are designed for professional development by large teams of experienced programmers who are concerned about the run-time efficiency of their code. As a result, these languages have complicated parts designed for these circumstances. You're concerned with learning to program. You don't need that complication. You want a language that was designed to be easy to learn and remember by a single new programmer.

* Play. Which way would you rather learn to play the piano: the normal, interactive way, in which you hear each note as soon as you hit a key, or "batch" mode, in which you only hear the notes after you finish a whole song? Clearly, interactive mode makes learning easier for the piano, and also for programming. Insist on a language with an interactive mode and use it.

Given these criteria, my recommendations for a first programming language would be Python or Scheme. But your circumstances may vary, and there are other good choices. If your age is a single-digit, you might prefer Alice or Squeak (older learners might also enjoy these). The important thing is that you choose and get started.