Does this scare anyone else?

anyedie

Does it scare anyone else that pretty soon we will mostly be using those 'blink' RFID cards insted of the normal stripe swipe?

Ever since I saw RFDump I have been developing a kind of paranoia.

Two members of my family have had ID theft happen pretty recently (unrelated). Now knowing that someone can do the same thing just by walking near you? Something should be done about this.

From what I heard on the news a few weeks ago was that the new Dutch passport (not sure if it's available yet) will contain an RFID chip.

I'm actually quite pleased with this, as it would give me a PERFECT testbed for RFID range tests. They claim the passport needs to be pretty much INSIDE the reader for the RFID chip to activate, but I don't believe that for a second. My guess is the news crew didn't buy it either as they were really digging into the guy over it.

If your credit card/debit/atm etc. contains RFID technology, there are ways you can stick alumuim foil into your wallet which will help block out unwanted RFID scanners.

I saw it in a popular science article.

You can buy special faraday cage wallets now to store RFID stuff in. I don't really understand the point in putting RFID tags in everything, since they don't really provide any benefit in most cases and are quite easy to shield so they don't provide the governement with much tracking ability (not that they give much anyway unless they were to put RFID readers everywhere).

Yeah, but in my expirence, a maximum range for gov. spec and hacker spec are 2 very different things... So if the gov. says 14', a hacker will find that with a bit of luck, a pringles can and some gumption its now 8 miles.

• 3 years later...
Does it scare anyone else that pretty soon we will mostly be using those 'blink' RFID cards insted of the normal stripe swipe?

Ever since I saw RFDump I have been developing a kind of paranoia.

Two members of my family have had ID theft happen pretty recently (unrelated). Now knowing that someone can do the same thing just by walking near you? Something should be done about this.

Nope my card has little the little black bubbly mark and a small little square cut out where the RFID chip used to be :)

Microwaves are fun.

Weird coincidence...someone at the office was just discussing this (stealing info off RFID credit cards).

Makes me glad all mine are just magnetic strip...hell, I have a hard enough time keeping those from getting stolen! Seriously, I have three cards that got compromised....a Mastercard that got compromised when the Heartland Systems breach occured and two Visas (one debit, one credit) that each had funny charges made to them and I got replaced, all in the last year! I'm not sure if it was one of my machines (doubtful, I run Linux) or my girlfriend's machine (Conficker'd a few months back, reinstalled the OS), but somebody must've had a keystroke logger on it or else I bought from some vendor that was compromised.

Sorry about your experience, I just signed up to see how the support was and I have to say this is not a good first impression.

Keep us updated on ow it goes, and what you do to get noticed. I hope it has no relevance with this public outcry.

From what I heard on the news a few weeks ago was that the new Dutch passport (not sure if it's available yet) will contain an RFID chip.

I'm actually quite pleased with this, as it would give me a PERFECT testbed for RFID range tests. They claim the passport needs to be pretty much INSIDE the reader for the RFID chip to activate, but I don't believe that for a second. My guess is the news crew didn't buy it either as they were really digging into the guy over it.

all new US passports have RFID in them and better yet it identifies you as a US citizen. so someone who is smart can make a device that goes boom that has an RFID reader and when you walk by a garbage can and your passport recognizes you as a US citizen bye bye you

GG USA

no other passport in the world ID's you like ours does

best thing to do with new Credit cards that have both mag strips and RFID is to put it in the microwave for 10 sec.

thinkgeek.com has some great passport wallets that block RFID

I plan to get a RFID chip and put bullshit info on there ie Chuck Norris etc and conceal my real one in a blocking wallet or something. I dont have anything worth stealing, but I feel it is my civic duty to be a complete arsehole when crap like this is foisted onto us.

lol, I think I can wager a guess what think geek will be offering soon.

We need fully armoed, tinfoil lined suits and wallets. Oh, and don't forget the hats, gotta have the hats of you leave yourself vulnerable to mind control.

Sorry about your experience, I just signed up to see how the support was and I have to say this is not a good first impression.

Keep us updated on ow it goes, and what you do to get noticed. I hope it has no relevance with this public outcry.

What the hell are you talking about?

all new US passports have RFID in them and better yet it identifies you as a US citizen. so someone who is smart can make a device that goes boom that has an RFID reader and when you walk by a garbage can and your passport recognizes you as a US citizen bye bye you

When the RFID passport was first announced, there was some concern in the community about a scenario far more devious. Consider going to a foreign country and walking out of the airport to be instantly swept up in a van and held for ransom all because some guy was set up with an RFID reader inside the airport scanning for an American passport.

The more secure people feel about a technology the more damage can be done when it's broken.

When the RFID passport was first announced, there was some concern in the community about a scenario far more devious. Consider going to a foreign country and walking out of the airport to be instantly swept up in a van and held for ransom all because some guy was set up with an RFID reader inside the airport scanning for an American passport.

The more secure people feel about a technology the more damage can be done when it's broken.

i was in london in early july and they have almost 0 public garbage cans because of this very reason. too likely to plant bombs in them and have the cenario that i proposed happen.

(carrying around a mcdonalds bag full of garbage for miles kinda sux while touring lol)